1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slight Distortion in left back speaker (denon 550)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by spookster, Feb 27, 2005.

1. spookster

spookster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Hi All,

Please be gentle. Not technically brilliant when it comes to hi-fi set ups etc - and I still need to work on one or two things with my Denon 550 setup.

However, currently I can hear slight distortion on the left surround speaker.

I'm watching 24 - and when it goes to an ad break, you can clearly hear a little distortion coming out of that one speaker.

I need some general advise here, and I also need to know what I have to setup up within the setup menu (for example, what do i set the db's too? for each speaker)?

can anyone help?

cheers

2. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    I get exactly the same problem when I first fire my system up. It sorts itself out after a minute or two but it is still mildly concerning.
    It only seems to be on one output setting, and at the moment I can't remember which one it is!!
    Rob

3. spookster

spookster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    the distortion always appears to be there, though sometimes its not noticeable.

maybe its when the sound out of that speaker reaches a certain level or tone (or whatever).

4. spookster

spookster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I'm gonna swap the left surround speaker with the right one and see if i still hear the distorted sound coming from the left hand side.

if i do, then will the problem be down to the speaker wires or the amp itself?

if its the amp, i'm gonna be very very upset.

of course, if the distorted sound comes out of the right hand side - that would mean its the speaker itself.

5. spookster

spookster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    swapped the speakers round, so the left one is now sitting on the right hand side.

still getting that distorted sound.

fantastic.

6. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    Spookster
    are you getting this garbled sound on ALL output settings (obviously not the stereo one!!).
    The only reason I ask is that I seem to remember a thread a few weeks ago that also mentioned this and bearing in mind I also get the problem it could be a "feature" (although unrequired) of the system.
    I cannot for the life of me remember which setting I have mine on when I get it, but I know it's certainly not there when I just leave the system to play DTS encoded discs or the more "usual" output settings.
    It is literaly this one output setting that causes it.
    I hope this makes sense (cos I'm a numpty where these things are concerned),
    Rob

Missed your other question in your first post regarding db settings by the way. I, like most others with this system have set mine to +10 for all of the speakers EXCEPT the sub which is set at +5.
    This enables me to listen to the system comfortably without venturing near the 45 volume setting which will set the cooling fan whirring whilst watching DVD's. Not that this "whirring" is too annoying, but you just know it's there when you come to a quiet passage during playback.
    Hope this helps, and don't give up on the 500 just yet. It really is a great system!!

7. spookster

spookster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    i think it might take a little while for me to work out what sound options i need selected depending on what i am watching.

any advice here?

if i'm watching Sky One or Sky Sports or any other channel - should I simply have the Dolby option selected?

8. pakeen

pakeen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to intrude but I am an absolute newbie who just wants to transfer old audio tapes to CD & haven't a clue where to start. I have a PC with Cd burner, PACE Twin,standalone DVD burner,& VCR. If someone could just point me in the right direction I would be most grateful & get out of your way.Thanks&Sorry.

9. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
  10. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have found that the slight 'garbled' sound that eminates from the rear speakers is caused by the ProLogic system in the Amp trying to produce the rear effects from poor quality Stereo sources. Some Stereo sources are more suitable than others when it comes to ProLogic processing. Try flicking the setting onto Neo6. This surround option is really for a 6.1 system, but really works quite nicely as an alternative to ProLogic - more 'spacial'...

Jimmy

11. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I contacted Denon about this, they said it was due to a bad analogue source being fed through (even though I am listening either via optical for Sky+ or by the Denon for dvds). I think it is just part of the system.

I get a noise coming out of the back speakers when someone is speaking, the noise matches the length of the speech but is unclear but only on certain tv programmes. Some are perfectly okay so I think it is something to do with the source material.

12. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    What Denon are saying is that the origional Analogue source is poor - it's nothing to do with your connections or your System - see my previous post.

Jimmy