Slight blur on my telly - what's your advice?

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Hi folks,
I have a Toshiba 32W6DB - one of the first 100Hz tellys Toshiba did.
The problem is that towards the bottom of the screen, there is a red glow above and a blue glow below things as if the convergence is out.
See attached photo of Avia Dot Hatch 100 IRE.
A similar but less severe effect is visible towards the top left and top right.
I spoke to a service chap at local Tosh dealer LADDS and he said that these TVs are self converging and it sounded like the 'shadow mask(?)' had shifted and if this was the case it would need a new tube. He actually persuaded me not to spend £35 + VAT with him for a service call-out.
The telly is ok to watch at the moment but I'm thinking of getting digital TV and the problem would really be irritating with the on-screen menus.
The telly only cost me £200 from a classifieds advertiser and came with manuals, cabinet and speakers. So I'm not about to buy a new tube for it.
Any advice on what it could be- whether confirming or denying the service engineer's thoughts - would be appreciated.

Attachments

• telly.jpg
    telly.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 140
Anyone?

Spectre

Well it's definitely convergence as you point out.

I think the shadow mask comment is a little suspect. All of the TV's I know have some sort of convergence available from the service menu.

I remember vaguely something I read that some of the Tosh tv's require a special remote to access the service menu. Can you get into the service menu? Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the set so can't help you with that.

I'd definitely do a bit of research before shelling out on a tube that may not be required.

Just my thought.

Good luck m8

Cheers

Laurel

Hi Spectre,

Sorry but I confirm the service engineer's thoughts !!!

Red and blue patches are symptomatic of a mask default (sometimes, patches are clear brown, almost yellow).

The mask is a thin black film with small holes wich is pasted on the internal side of the screen.

If the mask had shifted, some 'chromophores' (red, blue and green), that make the picture, are no more excited by the electron gun (because some holes are no more in front of the 'chromophores').

The only solution is to replace the tube :( .

Accessing the service menu will not be efficient because this is not all the picture which is red or blue.

Bye.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom