slide show on SONY KDL W 4000

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by Archimedes, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Archimedes

Archimedes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Want to display a slide show on SONY KDL W 4000 using the USB port on the set eg from an USB memory stick

A question to Sony suppor was not helpfull : anwer pointing to a link with a list of SONY image recording equipment only.

thnx for any advice.
    Archie

2. gcogger

gcogger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I don't recall the exact steps off hand, but it was pretty easy. It should be described in the manual - have you tried reading that section?

3. Archimedes

Archimedes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    of course - but it is pointing out the neccessity to ascertain that the USB apparatus is compatible - possibility for defects - if not what is logically as not all USB ports can source enough current to feed all USB equipment... and not all are protected so you can blow an USB port eventually.

On the list are only SONY made apparatus.

Half of an answer I got from the internet: SONY BElgium has an action offering for free an USB memory stick to thos who acquired one of there LCD TVs wit an USB port. Strangely enough neither the vendor, nor the support people who answerred my question mentionned that. So my
    search brings me a free USB stick, be it by a bit complicated procedure (part of the original box, filling out a form an waiting for a month or so to see the present to arrive in the mail etc)

can we suppose that all USB stick are born alike?
    Archie

4. djm1972

djm1972
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello Archie,

Having popped a 2GB USB memory stick into my new KDL32W000 and nothing happened, I checked the manual and noticed that it only supports USB memory sticks formatted in the FAT32 file system.

However, it seems that it is normal for 2GB and under memory sticks to be formatted in FAT16 (less wasted space). Larger than 2GB memory sticks should already be formatted in FAT32 and would work.

Under Windows, I was able to re-format my FAT16 memory stick by right-clicking on the drive under Windows Explorer and selecting "Format...". It then worked fine. After inserting into your TV:

Home > USB Photo Viewer > Device Selection...

...and then you should see whatever you named the drive when you formatted it in the list of devices...

Hope this helps!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  5. Archimedes

Archimedes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Tested and works OK. Even on a 512 M stick there is room for lots of pictures under FAT 32
    Archie