Sliced bread that actually has some flavour?

clockworks

Prominent Member
Reaction score
For many years, I've bought proper bread - uncut "farmhouse crusty" loaf from Tesco's bakery - alternating between white and wholemeal. I have bought bread 3 or 4 times a week, as I pass Tesco on the way home from work.

Now that I only work part time, I can't get to the shops as often. Because fresh bread doesn't last more than 2 or 3 days, I've switched to buying a sliced loaf.
Thing is, it all tastes really bland, and compresses down into a thin spongy mess when I cut a sandwich.

Do Tesco sell any decent thick-sliced bread for making sandwiches?
I've tried Hovis, Warburton's and Brace's so far.

Why don't you bake your own? Very easy to do and the results are much better than anything from the supermarket, including the bakery bread you used to buy. Try this recipe, it's what I use, is very simple and fool-proof:

YouTube - 10 minute "no knead" bread

EDIT: this is what the bread looks like:

I agree you can't beat homemade bread and now you've got a little more time on ya hands, go on give it a bash but don't give in if it goes belly up first time.

If not i'm a fan of hovis granary wholemeal sliced.:thumbsup:

These aren't bad:

White Batch

Oatmeal

The white can be a bugger to get in the toaster though!

You also need to give them the squeeze test as the use by dates are meaningless. Probably down to poor storage but these loaves are often so dry as to be vitually inedible except for toast. :thumbsdow

have you tried warburtons farmhouse?

I quite like the wholemeal seeded bread (I think Warburtons?) for taste.

If you've more time on your hands, why not buy a breadmaker. I would recommend a Panasonic...

Panasonic SD255 Breadmaker with Raisin/Nut Dispenser: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

...great piece of kit and makes very good bread. :clap:

It's worth a look at the Amazon reviewers at the bottom of the Amazon page to get an idea of how good this is. 383 people have given it 5 stars!

I very rarely have white bread, because it is quite tasteless, we only have it as French bread or baguettes.

The best bread must be thick Granary. :smashin: It's even nicer with some proper Wensleydale cheese (from Hawes) on it. mmm

have you tried warburtons farmhouse?

This is what we have, as a mass produced bread its very nice. Hovis have just re-launched their version and its not bad either, i do prefer Warburtons though.

Sid

Yeah they are ok but doesnt last 2 mins the ultimate bread for a sandwhich has got to be a warburtons Danish.
I only buy Warby`s bread just something i have grown up with but at the mo bread doesnt last 2 mins these days and does taste bland.
My 5 year old likes a Hovis Granary seedy bread as she calls it.

I think that Tesco's bakery will, upon request, slice whole loaves of your choosing while you wait. As you only need a small amount daily why don't you do as I do, freeze the loaf and remove as many slices as you need for your sandwiches.

I think that Tesco's bakery will, upon request, slice whole loaves of your choosing while you wait. As you only need a small amount daily why don't you do as I do, freeze the loaf and remove as many slices as you need for your sandwiches.

I think they do that in most bakery sections of supermarkets now. I know that Morrisons, Sainsburry's do it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

If you make your own bread, doesn't it end up costing more than buying it?

I'll look out for Warburton's Farmhouse and Danish.

I've tried freezing fresh bread - I used to cut a loaf in half, one part for use, the other went into the freezer. The frozen part never had the same texture once defrosted.

The bakery counter in one local Tesco is only manned during the day. The other Tesco has the bakery way out in the back of the warehouse, so you never see the staff.

Tescos finest Muitgrain Farmhouse Batch. Lovely flavour and not dry at all. Makes great sandwiches of fantastic toast too.

Hovis Granary multigrain is very nice too

Why don't you bake your own? Very easy to do and the results are much better than anything from the supermarket, including the bakery bread you used to buy. Try this recipe, it's what I use, is very simple and fool-proof:

YouTube - 10 minute "no knead" bread

EDIT: this is what the bread looks like:

I tried this last night and cooked it today. Superb looking loaf.
img0380ro.jpg
I think it will take me only about three hours to get the dough off that stuck to the tea towel though :) Note to self, use more flour next time on the towel or tip it onto a floured work surface.

That is a superb looking loaf....what does it taste like though??:)

You can use cling film instead of a tea towel..

I couldn't resist I cut it early. I used a local heavily malted and grained flour I often struggle to get a good rise from. It's really nice :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom