SLI Question

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I think this is the right section, what I want is to upgrade my GPU I currently have a Nvidia GT 9500 which came as the bulk standard GPU in the PC when I bought it from Currys a few months ago. Its quite a beefy PC in it self with 750GB HDD and 3 gig ram, Quad core and all that. But my question is.........is it better to upgrade and have 2 mediocre cards running in SLI or upgrade to a pretty serious card?

Any advice would be welcome, also advice on what cards to use would be pretty good too.

Thanks

I personally would upgrade to a better single card. Not all games are optimised for SLI and even on games that are you'll be lucky to get a 50% boost over the single card.

Completely agree with the above. Particularly as the 9500GT really isn't a decent gaming card. Buying another would be throwing good money after bad.

Have a look at the article here:
MADSHRIMPS - Hardware Reviews ,Crazy Projects, Modding Tutorials and Overclocking

The 9600GT is the next card up from the 9500GT, and as you can see even that on its own outperforms two 9500GT's in SLI (in the scenarios they tested).

If you're looking to get a new single card, then despite having an SLI board don't rule out ATI's cards - they offer far better performance per £ at the moment. Something like the HD 4830 (around £90) or better yet a HD 4850 (from around £115) would be a huge upgrade from your current card, and would start to do your quad core system justice in games. Just make sure your power supply is up to the job first (give us a shout if you need any advice there).

Two questions though - what is your budget, and what size monitor will you be gaming on?

Last edited:
Also make sure your psu can handle a new GPU. As tho's that come from dell, hp etc arent normally up to scratch

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom