SLI or not to SLI that is the question

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by fuzzybee, Mar 22, 2006.

1. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I cannot decide what to do, i currently have a Leadtek 7800GT and i'm considering either buying another in SLi formation or selling what i have and buying either a 7900GT or 7900GTX.

I am very happy with the performance of what i have so would another in SLI formation give me any benefits.
    I run my games on a flat panel 17inch monitor if that has a bearing on it, also if i do go SLI does it have to be exactly the same card ie another Leadtek or can i use any 7800GT card ??

Or should i jusxt get another gig or ram as i only have 1 gig and miss this generation of gc's altogether

your thoughts please

2. semiskimmed

semiskimmed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    17inch TFT=1280x1024 max res means a no from me regarding SLi.
    you say youre happy with what youve got so why not stick with that? if youre hell bent on upgrading then sell the 7800gt and buy a 7900gtx which at that res will still not give you any real performance increase, but as its slightly newer tech it might give you a bit of a headstart with the newer games to come this year but the way things go in this industry who knows :)
    if youre only upgrading to get future proof, then wait, as prices will fall and newer stuff will be released

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,408
    What sort of resolutions benefit from SLI?

4. semiskimmed

semiskimmed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    anything above that really once you pile on AA/AF settings.
    a 7900gtx should cope well at 1600x1200 with slight AA/AF stuff on.
    but running 1900x1200 would need 2 cards more than likely to get top settings during games.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,408
    Cheers - traditionally I have always used a single top-of-the-range card in my PCs. But when I get my new PC I intend to purchase a new widescreen monitor with a higher native resolution than I normally use. Ergo I am considering SLI.

6. semiskimmed

semiskimmed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    np. once you get the monitor or know which one youre going to get though give us a shout as if its only a 19inch one sli could still be overkill as a x1900xt or 7900gtx would handle that no sweat.
    its with the 20-24inch WS displays really :)

7. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Semiskimmed

Thanks mate your always on hand with good advice :thumbsup:

Another option i have is upgrading my monitor, i like the idea of a widescreen monitor so what can you suggest around the £300 mark ??

8. Pebb

Pebb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    If your going to buy SLi then wait a while till Quad SLi is out, then the costs of SLi will come down mate.

9. semiskimmed

semiskimmed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    i wouldnt say that really as quad sli is not really going to be used/bought by the masses. if $10,000 is what it takes to own the technology like that then the mainstream isnt going to be snapping them up. and not everyone runs a 30inch dell screen :smashin:

10. apolloa

apolloa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,350
    Actually, you can buy a prebuilt 7900 Quad SLI rig with a FX60 and 2GB RAM for £2436 RIGHT NOW in the UK, nothing like $10,000 what so ever. That will beat ANY current single graphics card machine into the ground.

11. Tigerblade

Tigerblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +590
    Until quad core cpu's are out and being fully utilised in games, 4 gfx cards are extreme overkill. If an fx60 is already a bottleneck for 2 cards why have 4?

Bragging rights only that one.

12. booyaka

booyaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,584
    Why?? That would be my questions - a bit of willy waving is the only reason to have quad SLI!!!:D

13. semiskimmed

semiskimmed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    lmao, ofcourse it would. its got 3 more cards in it! :suicide:
    its been said above, but a top line FX60 is a bottleneck for 2 cards in sli, quad sli is almost pathetic. the only reason you would need it is if you were gaming with a 30 inch dell screen. you would need more money than sense. and dell had to do something just incase they were asked for a large screen by a gamer with lads of cash

14. apolloa

apolloa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,350
    I was just pointing out it doesn't cost a fortune for a quad sli machine. Let's face it, If your a serious gamer you would get a quad setup and probably a nice widescreen monitor to use it with.
    But as more and more PC's are being used as second TV's or for multimedia then widescreen monitors will become cheaper and more widespread.
    And since when has a FX60 been a bottleneck for SLI/ Crossfire setups? Has anyone actually tested that?

15. semiskimmed

semiskimmed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259

i am a serious gamer and i would not buy 4 gpu's in one computer no matter how much i want to game, its a waste of money and time.i suggest you read up on sli/xfire as the top cards from each manufacturer are bottlenecked by the FX60 (the top end gaming cpu) unless youre at the very top of the tree using the dell's 30" native res.

16. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,408
    Entirely agree - surely it's better to buy a twin SLI setup twice as often rather than Quad SLI. That way you ensure your cards support the latest features as well as ensuring you can maintain high resolutions.

I have being pondering this monitor myself as my next purchase (to go with my new PC - there is no way my current 6800 Ultra would power it). Would a twin SLI setup struggle with it then?

17. semiskimmed

semiskimmed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    yes they would as i believe the native res for that monitor is 2560x1600, so in real money thats running 3x19inch tft's at their native res's at the same time.

18. semiskimmed

semiskimmed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    im sorry to be so blunt, but i believe that to be a load of twaddle.
    the hardware just isnt that cheap. lets work on the fact that each sli card would be around £700 each and then the fx60 is £600. so thats £2000 before we start on ram, case, optical drives, and most importantly a severely powerful PSU to cope with it which i would guess would be arond £150 on top. then they build it and a OS for it and i can see it being alot more than £2500. this is ofcourse with out displays too.

have you got a link to that computer you talk of apolloa?

19. apolloa

apolloa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,350
    No offence semiskimmed but your against ANY dual graphics card setup let alone quad sli if your not using a widescreen display, you've said so in all your posts.
    When I say serious gamer I mean the people that do it 24/7 and make a living out of it and go to all the international lan gameing competitions around the globe, hell they probably get them for free anyway from sponsers.
    Well if the FX range is bottlenecking the VGA throughput then everyone should wait to see what Conroe has to offer. Intel may be onto a winner as AMD aren't due to launch brand new chip designs any time soon, just the packaging of them (M2).
    On another note there is a very large scene of flight sim gammers these day's, you can even get a magazine in whsmiths just for flight sim games.
    These people WOULD benefit from SLI etc as they tend to run multiple displays or widescreen monitors to surround themeselves with the picture (According to the magazine anyway).

Here's ya links then:
    http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_quadsli.html

http://3xs.scan.co.uk/ShowSystem.asp?SystemID=447

20. semiskimmed

semiskimmed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259

ok first off you need to read a bit more into it, see where it says TBC about the price, that pc wth quad sli will not be that much money, add on alot more.
    2nd, you cant run multiple monitors whilst gaming making youre argument for the move to quad sli pointless.
    youre on about pro gamers, not serious gamers. do you even know what pro gamers use? most play at a res of 800x600 lol. (FPS players anyways)
    if you read other posts ive made then i have said sli is an option, i just dont see the word 'gaming' and immediately think that sli would be the best, money wise or anything else. 2 is not always better :p its subjective and i have always tried to find out what the score is with the user thats asking about graphics.
    the only point you do make there is about the conroe stuff, it looks like intel may be able to turn things around and perhaps be the pinnacle of gaming cpu's just like AMD have for years now

21. apolloa

apolloa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,350
    I now it says that but your not going to tell me they don't have an idea of the price now are you. If you order the machine of them there not going to charge you more. You must remember, quad SLI is OEM only and NOT for public buy yet. So think that each Quad setup probably costs them 200 to buy if they buy them in bulk or along with the other 1000+ nividia make cards they get.
    And seeing as you can buy this one for 2044 CONFIRMED PRICE then i believe there price for the quad setup:
    http://3xs.scan.co.uk/ShowSystem.asp?SystemID=391

22. semiskimmed

semiskimmed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    i see this there:
    youre mistaken if you think that quad sli is going to cost that much im afraid.

take a look here:
    http://www.alienware.com/Configurat...?SysCode=PC-AURORA-ALX-R4&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT
    i know its in the US but i cant find any uk sites with a CONFIRMED quad sli price.
    so were looking at a rough price of £4,000 at least as were in rip off britain too

23. apolloa

apolloa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,350
    Well I'll let you know the price if you want when they do confirm it but I believe scan more as they buy graphics cards by the thousand every month I expect as they are quite a large company so they get cheap prices.

As for multiple screen gamming. You CAN do it.
    Some links:
    This one even has networked PCS just to run the monitor array:
    http://www.avsim.com/hangar/flight/a320project/ricks.html
    http://www.ohgizmo.com/category/gaming/
    http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/guide/gaming.asp
    http://www.multiplemonitors.org/Pages - software/Software - Gaming.html

It's not all games but mainly flight sims however some older FPS support it. But if your gonna have the latest MS flight sim and want to run multiple screens then a quad sli rig is probably cheaper then several PC's thus making sense.
    How do you know what res pro gamers play at anyway out of interest. Did you read it on a forum or mag or have you seen them play in a competition.

And you do come across as not supporting SLI even if you don't mean to, to me anyway, sorry. Fair enough if it's a waste of time unless you have a widescreen display as I didn't know that point until you guys said it. It saves people money.

24. apolloa

apolloa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,350

If your going by the rip of Britian aspect then it'll be more like £5500 probably. But if you people say it's a waste of money for a 19" screen (What most people have) or 17", then I don't understand why they developed it in the first place unless it's another money making scam.

25. semiskimmed

semiskimmed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    yes you can do multi monitors, but not with sli, thats what i meant. you just cant do it, and i believe its a hardware level restriction and not drivers so its not something that can be worked around(not 100% on that but pretty sure)
    i have no doubt that those prices are genuine for non quad sli setups, the tech is brand new so its not going to be the same price as a high end sli rig is it? its aimed at a very niche market that can afford very niche prices.
    the pro gaming thing, ive read it, seen it and been told it. some even use 640x480.
    like i said before, just because i dont instantly punt sli/xfire in someones face doesnt make me biased or not like it. whats not to like? if someone knocked on my door and said here you go have these 2 cards, then id take them without question. but on here 9 out of 10 people like to get a deal and the most out of their cash and most of the time theyre not running massive displays (its not just widescreens btw)
    take a look here:
    http://www.steampowered.com/status/survey.html
    this is just one companies survey but you get the idea
    youll see that the majority of people use 1024x768 or 1280x1024, now sli/xfire is simply not needed at that res.

26. semiskimmed

semiskimmed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    at 19inch tft res 2 cards are too much let alone 4.
    the reason they created it, was to offer people that bought the dell 30" screen an option to run games, oh and a showcase for nvidia/dell to create a whirlwind of publicity (which worked)

27. apolloa

apolloa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,350
    Ah, you just gave me a flashback of when I read how SLI works. With one card running the top half of the picture and the second card running the bottom, thus making my questions pointless :suicide: as having one screen per card is more affective then SLI running multi screens hence why it doesn't work. However, I think you CAN run multi screens with SLI off, then switch it on for one screen with games.
    Not having it myself though I don't know if you can switch SLI on and off in the drivers yet rather then turning a card round on the motherboard.

28. semiskimmed

semiskimmed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    you can do it without rebooting now with the latest drivers.

29. texasboy

texasboy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Quad SLI is currently a waste of time and money.

In the future I bet it will be worthwhile when new more demanding titles are released. But there is nothing on the market that phases 2 7800GTX in SLI so why the need for 4?

Don't get me wrong I love PC gaming and when it does become worthwhile I will do it myself but until then save your £££ and just get two.

I currently have 2 7800GTX and an FX57 running at 1900x1200 everything is watercooled (gfx cards currently low 40's under load) and overclocked and nothing phases it (I mean nothing!!)

Playing WOW last night with every graphical option turned to maximum and was getting typically 120FPS

No need for Quad SLI.................just yet at least- but I can't wait until it is worthwhile:thumbsup:

30. semiskimmed

semiskimmed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    by the time the current gen of quad sli is worthwhile, there will be 2 or even one card around that can make mince meat of the latest games. but quad sli is meant for the ultra high end gamer, not someone with a 24inch dell :p