Slew of geometry problems with new Sylvania CR202SL8

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by wiiztec, Jan 29, 2009.

1. wiiztec

wiiztec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is the second new tv I've bought that had a ripple effect towards the edges of the screen, when the tv picture is scrolling the image seems to widen towards the edges. Also the picture is crooked and leans downward to the left slightly and any decent level of contrast causes straight lines on the right side of the screen to barrel inwards.

Besides the geometry problems it also buzzes, As I mentioned before I had bought a new tv before this one with pretty much the same problems I heard that glueing the copper coils around the electron gun stops the noise so I tested it on my earlier new tv and that still buzzes

My old Sony KV-13M42 never had any geometry or buzzing problems so I was wondering if if I take both tv's to a repairman would he be able to see what's causing the difference and correct it?

2. wiiztec

wiiztec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bump:lease:

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,305
    I think the answer is that a competent engineer may be able to improve on the out-of-the-box geometry, but it's often nigh-on impossible to get it perfect. Such is the nature of CRT screens.

The changing shape with brightness is an artefact of an inadequate power supply and I don't think it can be fixed - except by reducing brightness/contrast. That is a typical artefact of budget CRTs.

The only route to assured perfect geometry and stability is a flat screen. But then they come with their own, different artefacts.

4. Gammy leg

Gammy leg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    If it's new, take it back to the shop or return to where you bought it from and get them to sort it out or get a refund.

Gammy