Sleepy mac after Mountain lion??

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by malk, Aug 27, 2012.

1. malk

malk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    If like me,you have a Mac that keeps on sleeping,when you need it to run over night,for either conversion tools like IVI,or even downloading large files,with mountain lion,the energy saver went aggressive,forcing sleep,whenever it could....
    Mountain Lion sleep and caffeinate command - Ask Different

untill i bumped into this,seems to be working,just change utrrent to whatever app/program you want to stay awake,untill its finished,in app/program,choose the "when finished dutys,shut down"the program will quit,then the mac sleeps,i hope,...
    Im just downloading some stuff,and its working whilst unattended,i havent changed energy saver,to longer,just hope it sleeps when program quits....
    Anyway,please could someone have a look at this caffeinate command,as im still not 100% why or how it works!!!!thank you.

2. Recall

Recall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
  3. malk

malk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    tried the caffiineate command,works a treat,at last,i can leave my mac,to work while i sleep,as for caffiene,it keeps the screen on,better to change energy saving settings......and guess how long download,or conversion will take..

This command works,,,im happy,anyone else has the problem,i know there were a couple who also mentioned it being a ML pain,,,use this .
    Cheers.

4. Xeneye

Xeneye
    Previously MacGeekPaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +275
    This is an excellent find Malk, I hadn't heard about it until I read your post, but after a little reading it seems Apple snuck this command line into ML.
    Although I leave my Mini on 24/7 so don't worry about it sleeping, this will come in real handy at some point.
    Have a little look for an App called Platypus http://sveinbjorn.org/platypus, it's a cracking little free programme that allows you to enter simple Terminal commands and save it as an App, so for example you could add the command for Caffinate to keep open with iVI and save it, then just double click the App you have created and it saves you remembering all the command lines and arguments.

5. malk

malk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Cool,Platypus sounds perfect,i wasnt too keen on doing the termianl each start up of iVI,or whatever program,nice one.