1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sleepy Hollow - out of sync

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by AdamS, Sep 7, 2000.

1. AdamS

AdamS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Anyone had trouble with this disc??
    Purchased from MVC 2 weeks ago and have tried it on two different set-ups (players,amp,TV) with the same result - film un-watchable because it's so far out of sync.

Any ideas/suggestions, I would be grateful.

2. mickrick

mickrick
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Maybe a bit obvious - which player do you have?

------------------
    You tried and failed miserably. the lesson is - Never Try. Here endeth the lesson.

3. AdamS

AdamS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Maybe a bit obvious - which player do you have?
    [/QUOTE]
    My home set-up is a Sony DVPS-725 with a Yamaha DSP-A2 amp (I had a Pioneer 717 which I had loads of problems with) I also tried it on an old Toshiba 2107(?) going straight through a scart to the TV (no amp)which appeared even more obvious!! I've had problems with other DVDs as well......

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Weird that one!! I have it on region 1 and there does seem to be a slight delay in speech. I have a Sony DVP-S7700, maybe it is a Sony thang? Also do the Menus on T2U.E. freeze for a slight second between changes,it is almost like it tries to de-scramble the encoding then it sorts it out.

5. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Just so happens I watched my R1 copy last night. Yamaha A2 and Yamaha S795 DVD.
    I didn't notice anything at all, and I only had coffee to drink!
    If there is any sync problems, they were not obvious to me.
    In your instance, either you seem to be very unlucky and have used all the bad players or there is obviously a fault somewhere, maybe the disc itself?
    Sorry I can't be of more help.

------------------
    Douch!!......Wot's da madder, da CIA got you pushing too many penzils?

6. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've got the R1 and noticed no problems. But then I never do cos my players so good. heh heh. [​IMG]

------------------
    "Sh*t! I don't belive it! You... You burnt da f*ckin money!"
    Not at all against Robbie Williams (Glasgow) Ltd or companies with a similar name

7. AdamS

AdamS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yeh.....had the menu freeze thing on quite a few R1 titles....worst were T2 & Robocop. I'll take Sleepy H back to MVC and try another copy.....suppose I'll also have to try findling with the delay settings on the amp [​IMG]

8. fishyben

fishyben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    on my region 2 version it is also very very slightly out of sync in places, I got a pioneer 515.
    If you try another one and its OK can you let me know?
    Thx

9. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    If you get a chance, play your suspect disc somewhere else and see. I'd love to know if there is a difference between R1 and R2 mastering on audio. I suspect it would be odd, but it would be good to know.
    I assume it is a R2 disc you have got?
    Out of interest, what other, if any discs have you had problems with? Could it be your player maybe? Post back and let us know.
    Good luck. [​IMG]

------------------

10. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    P.S. I doubt very much your amp delays have anything to do with it. At worst it would just echo a lot.
    Unless...... the centre is set to -5ms delay, at some distance away from you, with a very mild original delay on the disc, then, maybe you would notice something.

------------------

11. mickrick

mickrick
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I watched the Tigger Movie (I know, I know) on my Sammy 709 and there were several times the picture froze for around a second at a time. But when it did, the sound kept playing perfectly.

It played no problem on my US Tosh 3109.

Buzz Lightyear Of Star Command had a Lip Sync problem as well on the Sammy, as did Mulan. No such problems on the Tosh though.

------------------
    You tried and failed miserably. the lesson is - Never Try. Here endeth the lesson.

12. AdamS

AdamS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    General Skanky - I have tried my R2 version of Sleepy Hollow on a Toshiba 2107 without an amp, and it looked just as bad,if not worse. I have also noticed the problem on: Deep Blue Sea -R1, Thunderball - R1, Lock,Stock..... - R2, The Mask - R2 (chapter 9 completely out) there are a few more. I haven't tried any of these on another player but I changed a Pioneer 717 to the Sony after all the bad press and problems I had, this solved the problem on the discs at the time, but now it's happening on new discs I am buying. This is beginning to ruin my enjoyment of the new format and has slowed down my disc purchasing. There seems to be no reason why this happens to so many people with different set-ups and can only point to the software........as everyone says, I have NEVER seen this problem on VHS whether the VCR used was top of the range or a 'cheap buy' I don't intend to keep buying different players until I find one that 'works' all the time and makes me feel cheated. What started out so good and promising has slowly gone downhill. [​IMG]

13. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    AdamS,

Without meaning to diss you or your choice of DVD players, I get the impression that you haven't done as much research into choosing a new player, as you could have. The Pioneer 717 is a damn good player, but many purchasers have warned others that it does have problems with some of the more troublesome DVDs out there - e.g. The Matrix and Lock, Stock...

Personally, I would get a Pioneer 626D. Have had mine nearly 9 months now, and have never had any problems on any discs, (including the two listed above), with the exception of the recent T2:UE R1 DVD. (See other forum thread.) However, that problem seems more to be a DVD problem, rather than one with the player itself.

Heck, it's only my opinion, so feel free to disagree.

Pooch

14. AdamS

AdamS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well.........if you read from the beginning.....I don't have the 717 anymore, and when I changed it, July 1999, this magazine rated the 725 as a best buy....how much research do I need to do!!! I thought this was a good buy at the time. Please explain, is the 725 a poor player??

15. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I think I would agree with the Pooch. It does 'seem' as if you have used the 'problem players' to date.
    I remember reading in the mag, past posts and others, that the Sony had problems, aswell as the Pioneer, (which seems to be the most notorious of the lot), and poss. but unsure the Tosh also.
    The titles you've mentioned all/most, from my memory, are unfortunately the ones that came up when synch problems occurred.
    I'm sure that someone on this forum has a web address that lists all the known synch problems, ie, what players with which discs.
    Have you tried looking at some of the other info sites, ie, www.dvd-debate.com and the like to see what they know? Poss. the best/most knowledgable person here would be our very own Plasma, if he is reading, who prob. has a good idea where to look to confirm/disprove what I suspect, unlucky choices of players.
    But, do not give up! Pooch is right, there are plenty of other players that will give you trouble free viewing, the Pioneer he mentioned being highly rec., but I have no personal experience with it, but go on the loving praise of it from others here.
    Best thing to do would be to try the 'problem' disc on as many other players a s possible.

------------------

16. Matt @ DVD Debate

Matt @ DVD Debate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well thanks for the shout Skanky, but I'd personally go to www.r2-dvd.org and have a look at the disc fault database. And thats exactly what I have done.
    Sleepy Hollow has reported lip synch faults on:
    Hitachi P250
    Nakamichi DVD-10s
    Pioneer DV-515
    Pioneer DV-717
    Sony DVD-S725
    Toshiba SD-3107

Hope that helps clear stuff up a little.

17. AdamS

AdamS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the info everyone.....how long will it be before this sort of thing does not happen?? Perhaps the DVD mags should include a 'Known Player Problems' section in their reviews!!!
    [​IMG]

18. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Matt,
    Strange you mentioned the Nakamichi DVD-10s.
    I've never had lip-sync of any kind with it. My old Sony 525 was pretty bad for it, but I've never had it once with the Naka. I've got the R1 version, is that what you were referring to?

------------------
    "Sh*t! I don't belive it! You... You burnt da f*ckin money!"
    Not at all against Robbie Williams (Glasgow) Ltd or companies with a similar name

19. Matt @ DVD Debate

Matt @ DVD Debate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not me mate, the R2 fault database, its entirely based on user submission, just checked it for your Naka:
    "Alan and Alys Hayes
    Nakamichi DVD-10s
    Serious lip-sync problems. On machine not usually suffering such faults. Disc cat. no. P8986DVD Damn!!!"

Only submission for it is for Sleepy Hollow R2 ( it being the R2 database [​IMG] ).

Course it could just be a faulty disc, but thought it was good to confirm that others had problems with Sleepy Hollow on a variety of machines, particularly the ones AdamS mentioned.

Hope that clears it up a bit.

20. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony 735 and watched Sleepy Hollow R2 last night. Percievable lip synch problem, only one to date (lock stock was OK R2). Not enough to ruin but enough to annoy!!! £400 wasted, should have got the Wharfedale!!!!

21. AdamS

AdamS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just in case anyone can......I messed around with the delays on my Yamaha amp, in particular I use the Movie Theatre 70mm General (pre-programmed) setting, I changed the init. delay variable from -20ms to -1ms and this seemed to eradicate the problem!! (Or maybe I've watched the same scene so many times I imagined it!)

22. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had exactly the same problem on a R2 copy
    of Sleepy Hollow. This is on my Sony 325 coupled with a Yammy A5. It seemed to happen near the layer change I think where they see that drawing in Ichabod's room (I could be wrong as we rented the movie and I can't remember).
    I also have lip synch probs in the middle of Blade, isn't there a firmware upgrade that fixes some of these?
    If there is should I get Currys to sort it as thats where my girlfriend got it from or do we have to contact Sony directly, its still under warranty by the way.

23. AdamS

AdamS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    After looking at various websites, I noticed that Techtronics provided a firmware upgrade for the Sony to eradicate the problem. I contacted link online (www.linkonline.co.uk)where I originally purchased my player from, and they offer the same service. Free if it is still under warranty, £25 + return shipping if it isn't........I'll give it a try and report the results

24. Jay2000

Jay2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I have to admit to feeling rather smug after reading all of the above. Here's me with my humble LG 2330P and I have never experienced any problems with any of the discs mentioned here! The only film thats given me any grief is the R1 Abyss SE. When I select the SE version of the film the 'fill in' chapters dont work at all, but then everyone I know has THAT problem!

Hope you sort it out...

Jay

25. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Originally from the wonderful Granite City, Aberde
    Ratings:
    +1
    Having had trouble with my Sony 725 I have gone into this problem in some detail. Sony admit that there IS a lip-sync problem with the 725 and it is a free upgrade. Sony Trade Technical have passed a bulletin to all their Sony Approved Repair Centres informing them of this fault. If you have a Sony 725 which is less than a year old it WILL be repaired/fitted with the latest firmware. A problem which has not been mentioned arises when the player has been modified for multi-region. I put my Sony back to Sandai Electronics (where I bought the player from originally, ready multi-region modified) and they were unable to perform this simple task for me. They couldn't even replicate the lip-sync problem! In fact they had my player for 4 weeks and did nothing. Eventually I had to take my (now out of warranty!!) player from them and send it to Techtronics to be upgraded and re-modified. It's now fine I might add.

Regards and good luck!

Jim [​IMG]

PS I don't have Sleepy Hollow myself but I have watched this disc (can't remember which region it was though) on a friend's system (brand new Sony 725 multi-region and Yamaha A2) and noticed no lip-sync problems at all.

[This message has been edited by Jim Robson (edited 21-09-2000).]

26. steve tyler

steve tyler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I watched a borrowed r2 copy last night and can report lips inc all the way through.
    Kit:Sony 7700
    Yam ax1

27. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    R1 version very slightly out on my panny a360,gonna check on my smart 2000.

28. AdamS

AdamS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Jim.....I seem to have had the same problem with LinkOnline. I sent the player away on Thursday (£19!!!) got it back Monday..pretty good...took it home...put Sleepy Hollow back in.....NO CHANGE. After more fiddling with the amp it seemed to be better to me. Not so with my girlfriend, who insisted it was no different. I emailed tech. support explaining that I couldn't see any difference and how could I check the firmware version. They mailed back with a key combination to get me into diagnostic mode, confidentally stating that anything above V2.4 was ok. Mine said 2.400!! They have some explaining to do tomorrow.........

29. mongo

mongo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have pioneer 717
    e-07 amp

used r2 sleepy hollow

r1 t2 utimate edition

and had no problems

also matrix r2 and impossable mission 2

must be discs

30. Dumfy

Dumfy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi AdamS

Hope this helps. I've got an early Sony 725 and had the same lip sync problems on various discs. The solution I found was to just rewind the disc briefly and the sync always kicked back in.

I then had the player modded to take care of RCE encoding and this upgrade also sorted the sync problem and the same time. No problems since. Apologies if I'm going over previously covered ground.

Let me know if this helps.

Mark

:)