Sleeping Dogs

jdevil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any one got this yet, mines arrived today. Cracking game that feels like True Crime streets of LA. deffo worth a rent and better than the other free roaming games I've played (just cause/saints row) excluding GTA.

yeah I got my copy from shop.to on Wednesday, you may not be aware but the game was a true crime game when Activision was the publisher for it, they dumped it when it was almost done and Square-Enix picked it up and finished it off but they didn't have the rights for the True crime name Activision still owns that so they called it sleeping dogs instead.

the unarmed combat is great and brutal especially some of the environment attacks and the limb breaks that you can unlock, gun play is Ok but i much prefer the martial arts stuff, the story is good also with some brutal cut scenes that re done using the in game engine which looks pretty good with some rather nice looking rain effects, i'm only about 3 hours or so in haven't had much time to play I will do at the weekend but what i have played so far i'm really enjoying and it's gotten some pretty good reviews as well. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Picked this up from morrisons today for £30. Wasn't going to buy it and hadn't even heard of it until a few weeks ago but wanted something to tide me over till GW2 came out and i have to say i am really enjoying it and definitely lot better than expected.

Melee combat is good and using the environment is really fun. Whereas some games its just press the same button over and over, this has so much variety and is fluid.

Think my best moment so far was fighting a load of guys in this bar and then grappling one of them and throwing them head first into a massive fish tank integrated into the wall. As he smashed threw, water came pouring out, along with a fish, from which i picked up off the floor and started slapping the other enemies to death with :D

Had this on pre-order & managed to play a few hours over the weekend & have to say its really good, a lot better than I had anticipated.
Lots to do & so far its been enjoyable to play through & watch all the cut scenes, the combat & driving are both solid, I'm just hoping that it doesn't become too much of a grind for XP as i would love to plat this game.

Has anyone else had problems with connecting to the social hub? I linked my account with the website & it shows my stats n stuff there but in game it always comes up with unable to connect to social hub.

Has anybody got any tips for this game not sure if its just me but i get killed most fights . i have got to club bam bam so i have that to do and i think 3 drug busts on the map but i just seem to get my head kicked in all the time ...lol not sure if its my timing or what too fast or to slow on the buttons :rotfl: so has any body got any fight tips

I think sometimes you just have to time your button presses correctly as I was getting battered about a bit in the beginning before I got used to the controls. You can also move away from the main crowd of guys & pick them off in smaller groups rather than get surrounded & die quickly, also buy different foods & drinks before going into brawls & tricky situations as they give more damage resistance or quicker recovery.

Just keep practising & once you have access to the Kung Fu master then you gain more skills when you find the
Masters Jade Statues

I'll spoiler the next bit,
Have you sung your Karaoke song(the Clash) & then went upstairs to the VIP area, Benny does a bolt & your left with a handful of guys to defeat, you fight them off & can send 1 of them through the big fish tanks on the wall which in turn sends a fish out that you can then use as a melee weapon & gain a trophy for killing an enemy with a fish:D
Once you've taken care of the dudes upstairs, head back down & you then will face another half dozen guys, there is a roped off area to the left of the stairs that you came down & for some reason the enemies don't come in to get you but stand at the opening. So what I did was use the O button to grab the guys & drag them into the roped area 1 by 1 & smash their heads off the wall till they're dead.

If you need any more help just ask:smashin:

Has anybody got any tips for this game not sure if its just me but i get killed most fights . i have got to club bam bam so i have that to do and i think 3 drug busts on the map but i just seem to get my head kicked in all the time ...lol not sure if its my timing or what too fast or to slow on the buttons :rotfl: so has any body got any fight tips

Use a car to run them over if possible! Works for me :)

Alternatively, try collecting as many Jade statues as possible and return them to the kung fu dojo. You get taught a new fight move for each one which can help considerably.

If possible, try and use environmental kills too. In Club Bam Bam you can put them through the aquariums and then use a fish to beat the other to death - you get a trophy for that too :smashin:

I've died so many times in this game it is unbelievable. Found thinning out with a car was the best way until I'd learnt the extra moves. I still find it can be hit and miss on the blocks, especially against knives.

Excellent game though, been putting loads of hours into it just finding health thingies, lock boxes and hacking cameras.

There is a nice little earner once you get Tengs phone number, some nice cars to buy once your fame is at a decent level.

Playing this to review (a bit late i know, apologies) but it has been a great game so far and im loving every minute of it.

Massive surprise title of the year, Activision will be gutted they dropped this one. United Front have done a top job on picking up the pieces and making the game what it is.

Really enjoying this. Bought yesterday and have hardly put it down since. Really enjoying all aspects of the game and there feels like a million things to do too - which keeps it fresh.

I go to do a mission and get side tracked all the time.

As said above this is THE surprise of the year. True Crime was pants, this is really good.

Good game, loads of side games to play.

Advice before fighting is eat & drink, then get a massage ;)

BB

Started this last week and had been playing away at it, just chipping away at the collectables/side missions/races/fight clubs etc. Anyway I'd been planning on Platinuming it but I noticed that an outfit that I got from a lockbox fairly early on isn't in my wardrobe and it doesn't appear in the clothing unlocked list even though I know I got it (the Mr Black outfit). Done a quick google and looks like other people have had the same problem with clothing from lockboxes and it will prevent your stats from getting to 100% so the Platinum won't unlock.

Anybody else had this or know of any workaround for it?

Started this last night, had about and hour. Seems like a decent game and the combat is similar to Batman AA/AC which is great.

rickinyorkshire said:
Started this last night, had about and hour. Seems like a decent game and the combat is similar to Batman AA/AC which is great.

Good game, itll be good to see where the announced DLC goes in terms of story and setting.

After a couple more hours i'm struggling. When i attempt any 'drug busts' i get my arse handed to me, i can't seem to win and it's pretty frustrating.

rickinyorkshire said:
After a couple more hours i'm struggling. When i attempt any 'drug busts' i get my arse handed to me, i can't seem to win and it's pretty frustrating.

Mow them all down in a car, simples ;)

Lol yea i guess you could. But I'd rather be able to do it myself with my hands. The fighting mechanics aren't as slick as Batman..

rickinyorkshire said:
Lol yea i guess you could. But I'd rather be able to do it myself with my hands. The fighting mechanics aren't as slick as Batman..

I know what you mean, feels more rewarding taking them all out with melee but i got so wound up i just ran them over and did silly amounts of donuts and wheel spins until theyd had enough ;-)

I've just Platinumed it. The 'outfits not unlocking from lockboxes' glitch doesn't prevent you from getting all of the trophies as I'd feared it might.

Really enjoyed it and was also not too difficult to Platinum.

One thing I'd suggest if you're struggling early on is to get a map (or do some of the earlier missions until you get a few of the girlfriends) and go and collect all health shrines and as many jade statues as you can. The first 2 girlfriends will put the locations of shrines and jade statues on your map (press X I think to view their locations). If you get all health shrines your health bar will double and it's also worth buying food and a dragon drink before a fight as they boost you health recovery and damage

Last edited:
Had a bit longer on it and doing much better now i've found a couple of the dragons.

I wasn't aware you could have more than 1 girlfriend.. i shall investigate that :)

I don't suppose anyone has any idea what the recent massive patch (almost 1gb) is supposed to have done. The only things that I have noticed is that the gold hand gun now spawns in all of my apartments and that the 'high roller' outfit that I saved from one of the final missions has now had the jacket removed and replaced with the default police jacket, probably because they want you to buy that outfit as dlc rather than obtain it through playing the game.

They haven't fixed the glitched Mr Black outfit or added in the swat outfit, gun & car from the limited edition dlc pack

anyone provide me with a list of all the decent DLC? Its all on sale later today. I assume its all outfits and guns except the Nightmare one which I believe is an add on mission set?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom