Sleep mode confusion?

leamspaceman

Distinguished Member
On my Series X I'm very confused about the sleep modes.

I always select 'Standby' mode over 'Energy Saver' mode. Then I shut the console down by a long press of the Xbox button and then choosing 'shut down.'

However, no game updates or system updates ever download or install. They only begin to download once I switch the console on.

Also, if Ieave the console in standby mode for a couple of days, my remote access from the app on my phone is lost.

Last night I shut down the console in standby mode with a couple of games downloading. This morning when I turned it on it did a full restart with the Xbox splash screen and the games hadn't downloaded.

I've tried setting the console to 'Energy Saver' mode just now. I shut the console down, waited 30 seconds and switched on... and it went straight to the dashboard?

I'm really confused by this.

Can anyone help?

Last edited:

King Tones

Distinguished Member
You need to ensure you have the Update My Games/Apps ticked within settings, System and Updates. Nothing to do with Standby or Energy Saver, they both allow the games to be updated.

leamspaceman

Distinguished Member
You need to ensure you have the Update My Games/Apps ticked within settings, System and Updates. Nothing to do with Standby or Energy Saver, they both allow the games to be updated.
Yes, they are both ticked. Sorry, should have said that.

All the options that should enable updates are chosen.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Maybe a network issue then. I know it only checks for updates a few times in a 24 hour period.

If it's not that then maybe a full reset and setup from scratch and see if that helps.

leamspaceman

Distinguished Member
I tried that but no joy.

Is there a period of time whereby if you've got your machine set to energy saving mode, and you do a shut down, that it'll still do an 'instant on' start? I've left mine in energy saving mode for 5 mins and it still does an 'instant on' start???

leamspaceman

Distinguished Member
So looks like Standby and Energy saver does load up instantly and maybe since the last update that's why it's called standby and no longer Instant On.

I know that doesn't help the updates though.
Thanks for confirming. Much appreciated.

Been looking at lots of info online regarding updates in standby. Looks like it affects a fair few but also seems like it's something that can work sometimes and others not.

Maybe it'll start working for me again at some point?

leamspaceman

Distinguished Member
Turned my series X on today after not using it for a couple of days. It was in 'energy saver' mode. Didn't load up instantly and the games I had begun to download a couple of days ago hadn't moved and simply resumed downloading.

Turned the console off for five minutes in energy saver mode, and it loaded up instantly when turning back on.

There appears to be a period after switching off where, when switching back on, the console will restart instantly in either energy saving or standby mode.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
It should be updating in standby mode. It will only update the last few games you’ve played though. The rest will just be in the update queue. The reason for this is to manage disc space. So if you have a lot of games only the last two or three played will auto update.

But if you have an install or update going it should carry on doing so in standby.

The only thing I can think is either there is a fault with your Xbox or your router doesn’t like it when it goes into standby. I had a sky router once that simply wouldn’t communicate with the Xbox one in standby for whatever reason. But doesn’t sound like that’s your issue as downloads would carry on, they just wouldn’t start in standby.

leamspaceman

Distinguished Member
It should be updating in standby mode. It will only update the last few games you’ve played though. The rest will just be in the update queue. The reason for this is to manage disc space. So if you have a lot of games only the last two or three played will auto update.

But if you have an install or update going it should carry on doing so in standby.

The only thing I can think is either there is a fault with your Xbox or your router doesn’t like it when it goes into standby. I had a sky router once that simply wouldn’t communicate with the Xbox one in standby for whatever reason. But doesn’t sound like that’s your issue as downloads would carry on, they just wouldn’t start in standby.
Not really sure what's going on?

My PS5 (and previously my PS4) doesn't always do any updates in rest mode.

There do appear to be lots of other people with the same issue from doing a quick Google search, so I'm not unduly concerned about it being a faulty console.

I've also noticed that I can remotely connect to the console a few minutes after I've switched it off to standby... but after a few days I can't?

Odd...

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom