Sleep and Wakeup via remote

MooCow

Quick question for you HTPC bods who have vastly more experience than I do with it (had a browse of the stickies and have also done a search on Google but there appears to be a variety of information a lot of which is out of date)

Having had the HTPC as our only viewing mechanism from yesterday morning the first thing we have encountered is how the hell do you wake it back up using the remote control?
Overnight it went to sleep which was expected but I am not keen on having to keep going to the power switch to turn it on in the morning - the HTPC is in a cupboard and needs to be removed to access the power switch on the front.
There is no indicator light on the MCE remote receiver when in sleep mode to acknowledge a remote signal is being played to it.
The PC I have setup the "S3" type sleep mode (or at least thought I had) following a guide I found - Set up S3 sleep state in Vista for significant power savings | TechRepublic

The only workaround I have is to leave it on all the time which is not ideal, but the Mrs I don't really want her having to pull the machine out to turn it on every day I am at work.

Do you need a special remote of some kind to do this type of setup - something that perhaps goes in line with the power switch to the motherboard connector?

bryanchicken

some remote receivers won't wake the machine, but that doesn't mean yours won't.
You need to set it to "allow device to wake pc" in device manager in windows (which i'm assuming you are using as that link mentions vista)

It needs to still have power while asleep as a minimum. If it usually flashes when receiving a signal but doesn't while its asleep then it probably has no power and has no chance of waking the machine. So you need to sort that first

MooCow

Cool, cheers will try that. It's Windows 7 on the box but the guide is nigh on the same. I did just do the network card (WOL) setting rather the USB connection so will give that a go later.

MooCow

Yeah hibernate is disabled completely, I did the command line thing to turn it off.

I think it's not sleeping correctly though, S3 sleep should still allow a response on the network card but I can't see it when it's sleeping doing a scan. Will have to play some more.

nacmacfeegle

Distinguished Member
WOL , sleep etc is normally dependent on the hardware so we'd need to know the model of the Mobo, model of the PC etc.
Do you have a smartphone or some other means of sending a WOL signal to the HTPC? It will be useful to get the WOL working via that method before you go faffing around with a remote.

bryanchicken

but I can't see it when it's sleeping doing a scan.

What scan is this? When the machine is asleep it won't be doing anything. For all intents purposes it is switched off (only power to RAM).

MooCow

Wol works fine, I know how to set that up, but it isn't practical for the wife or kid to do it that way.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom