Slab under my REL? What thickness?

MJeeves

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have been advised that by putting a marble slab under my REL Storm 5 sub-bass unit may make the units bass a bit "tighter" and "punchier". If this is indeed the case... what thickness of marble should I use and how much bigger does it need to be than the footprint of the Storm 5 itself?

Thanks.

MJeeves said:
I have been advised that by putting a marble slab under my REL Storm 5 sub-bass unit may make the units bass a bit "tighter" and "punchier". If this is indeed the case... what thickness of marble should I use and how much bigger does it need to be than the footprint of the Storm 5 itself?

Thanks.

Anyone?

Whats the REL sat on at the moment?

I tried this, but found putting the slab on top made much more difference.

I currently have a 30Kg slab sat on top of mine.

drummerjohn said:
Whats the REL sat on at the moment?

I tried this, but found putting the slab on top made much more difference.

I currently have a 30Kg slab sat on top of mine.

It's currently on a thickly carpeted upstairs wooden floor. REL suggest NOT using spikes. The floor is ply wood and suspended on joists. The carpet is about a quarter inch think with underlay.

Please advise on how to get a punchier tighter bass.

Thanks,

M.J.

I would say 2 options - first one as I mentioned, push the subwoofer to the floor. OR bring the floor to the subwoofer. That is (and yes I did this in a house that had very a very thick floorcovering), Put 4 screws into the floor with the heads above the carpet and then place a slab (marble or concrete) on top of this.

I always found that half the fun of refinining the sound was doing the refining - hope that made sense.

The ideal scenario would be a hefty slab of some inert material like marble, slate or granite under the sub with another one on top. The bottom slab doesn't have to be any larger than the footprint of the sub and neither does the top one.

My sub sits on top of a copy of the Yellow Pages. Does the job perfectly and it's cheap. The sub sounds a lot better now than when it was sitting on the laminate floor.

Ian J said:
The ideal scenario would be a hefty slab of some inert material like marble, slate or granite under the sub with another one on top. The bottom slab doesn't have to be any larger than the footprint of the sub and neither does the top one.

Should the slab of marble be covered with something like carpet (covering slab) so that the driver isn't firing at a shiny hard surface?

Please advise. Thanks for your help so far guys! :thumbsup:

Trial and error I think. My SVS has an integral wooden baseplate and fires downwards onto that whereas my previous REL Storm fired straight down onto my carpet covered concrete floor.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom