• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

SkyX Streaming Box Revealed

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Only 14 months since first announced. That might explain why the promised improvements to NowTV never surfaced, especially if there are plans for a UK launch. It’s certainly something that I’d be interested in.

Clem

D

Deleted member 765458

Good old Sky

" Viewers only wanting to stream the free-to-air channels can do so for €7.99 per month. "

" Sky recommends an internet data rate of at least 10Mbps for streaming HD content. Each subscriber can register up to four reception devices for Sky X; up to two parallel streams are possible. In the medium term, Sky X is to replace the existing, smaller streaming service Sky Ticket. "

spinaltap

Distinguished Member
Possibly, it might be that those channels would be available in HD - thereby offering an advantage over linear SD reception.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
No mention, that I recall, regarding catch-up services. If the Austrian version of NowTV is being scrubbed, does Sky X offer that too? HD streaming of live channels and catch-up (presumably in better quality than NowTV) is certainly something that I’d go for if Sky X surfaces in the UK for the same price. Certainly no point shelling-out for a NowTV box. Interestingly, those NowTV boxes that have an Ethernet port are sold out ...

Clem

Rog69

Distinguished Member
If you look here they have the channel packages - Die Sky X Streaming Box. Der smarte Weg IPTV zu streamen.

Comparing it to the current now TV options, it looks like the bottom package is a combination of the entertainment, movies and possibly the kids pass. Along with live TV and on demand, that looks like good value vs the same offering from NowTV. Oddly though, if you look at the channel logos then none of the movie channels are HD?

If it launches over here with the same packages, it will be interesting to see how the pricing translates, that base package works out at around £17 monthly, which is cheaper than getting a similar bundle through NowTV, I can't see the base package being much cheaper than £25 a month over here for the same content.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
I thought that the delivery was HD for all services (where applicable). It’s a non-starter for me if that level of service doesn’t end-up on a UK version.

I got the impression that this type of box was going to kill off the Austrian equivalent of NowTV, and if this does ever end up in the UK I can’t see Sky wanting to run both services, but who knows? I wonder why Sky chose Austria to launch the service rather than the UK?

Clem

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Actually, looking at the Google-translated web page I couldn’t see any mention of catch-up services, so perhaps SkyX and NowTV are different beasts. I would have expected X to provide both types of service.

As for the logos, yes the HD bit does seem to be missing from the cinema ones. I can’t believe that Sky would only offer SD films. Or is it that they’re all HD by default?

I suppose that I’ll have to wait and see ...

Clem

Rog69

Distinguished Member
Actually, looking at the Google-translated web page I couldn’t see any mention of catch-up services, so perhaps SkyX and NowTV are different beasts. I would have expected X to provide both types of service.

It does mention on demand in the blurb under the big picture of the box on the site I linked earlier -

Die smarte Sky X Streaming Box: All of Sky & Best of Free TV. Einfach plug & play - 24/7 live streamen & On Demand. Die coolsten Channels, Serien, Filme und 100% Live-Sport.

It's not clear exactly what that means, but I would be surprised if it didn't at least include catch-up for the channels you are subbed to and box sets as well.

I think the lack of HD channel logos for the movies is a bit of an oversight there, there is now way that they would launch in crappy 720.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom