SKYWORTH REVIEW

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tiberious, Jun 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It came,I saw - I`m conquered !!

Downers

Packing is non existent - I opened the parcel to find a large dent in the metal housing just above the tray - not good, but after removing the housing and applying a little pressure, it was fine !!

Build quality is laughable - it weighs about 10lbs, and while I was taking the housing off, the front of the tray dropped off !!(it clips back on-I think it`s plastic !).

Anyhow, on a high `cos no duty/customs - I proceeded to set it up.I hooked it up via component to my HT200, shooting on to a 7ft screen.Audio was fed through a Pioneer 908 receiver.

I had read of Y/C delay problems when using component rather than the VGA connection, but i`m happy to report no problems on my set.

Straightforward setup menus -only took 5 mins before I was up and running - although, be aware, there is NO picture processing with this unit (no sharpness/contrast etc).

Anyway, acid test for me was R1 Great Escape - Non anamorphic, and unwatchable on my Pioneer 626 - shimmering,jaggies galore and halo - looks worse than vhs !! - On the Skyworth - bingo !! jaggies and halo almost completely eradicated,shimmering significantly reduced and noticeable reduction in grain -I could sit and enjoy it !!

Next up - The Thing R2.The dog running through the snow at the start always gave problems with jaggies, and the helicopter was bad (halo) - again, bingo !!SORTED !!

By special request, I also studied chapter 15 of Gladiater - the battle of Carthage.To cut a long story short, to my eyes, the "problems" were solved - no shimmering of chainmail,no moire,good clear detail on tunics - a very small amount of jaggy on the front tier of the coliseum but all a considerable improvement on the 626.

Only had an hour or so to play, so will give it a good run out over the weekend - any questions, or problem scenes, I`d be happy to check out if I can.

By the way,when running the HT200 via progressive, picture processing menus are reduced (cant adjust sharpness,or y/c delay),so allied to the lack of these controls on the Skyworth, it may cause problems.Also, on some scenes the picture appeared a little "soft".

Overall ,for £250, it looks a steal !!( find another player giving PAL progressive, and using the Faroudja chipset for de-interlacing for this price !!).

2. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I've just replied to the identical thread in the Progressive Scan Forum. It might make sense for people to just reply in one place?

Cheers,
    Liam

3. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    true...

mods - feel free to close !!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.