SKYWORTH REVIEW

Tiberious

Skyworth arrived this morning - no vat or duty !

I may be watching a movie or 2 tonight !

Gary

I received my Skyworth at the weekend (actually it was posted the previous Friday and delivered on Tuesday - but I only returned to London on Thursday)

Unfortunately I got stung for £40.25 (bastard customs people - although I have imported more than 200 DVD's without ever being charged despite the cost so I suppose I shouldn't complain.)

I was also finalling installing my PLV30 projector over the weekend so my time was a little short with the DVD player. However -

This projector and DVD cobination was superb in my opinion. The image was very cinematic - fast pans and movement were very smooth and the picture looked very detailed. I have had a demo of this projector at a couple of different places and never seen it look so good.

Since I really haven't had that much time with my new setup I'll reserve further judgement until I can use it more - but up till now it looked great!

Hey - nice one Gary !!

Don`t forget you need to hook up via composite or s-video first to access the menus - you can then choose to change output to component and progressive (the output of progressive is in the LAST menu - there is also a similar field in the first menu, "video" I think its called).

Hope all is well - look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Enjoy......

Now you guys have had time with the Skyworth to play with it, what do you think.?

Where can I read up on the skyworth? and where did you buy from.

Cheers
Tim

Brief info on Skyworth....

Actually I've not really had much time to play with it...if you can believe that. I connected Garry's Skywirth to the NEC9PG using its VGA. HD15 to 5 BNC lead brought in to operation form this.

Set up projector using AVIA. Then looked out a couple fo discs to play. Unfortunately the first locked up. It's a very very worn copy of Pleasantville. This disc has tripped up a few units before so I don't think it's an issue.

Next disc worked fine. Star Trek Insurrection. The intro to this disc is a killer for de-interlacing. I thought it passed with flying colours. The image was softer looking than feeding the component outs to the Vigatec but other than that I was impressed.

Just realised I haven't played any Region 2 Stuff. So I'll try and watch some Buffy tonight. Any excuse!

Only other issue is that very long access time on discs as well as the long time to respond to remote control presses etc. Still not bad for £250-£300 so far though.

More to follow once I've had time to sit down and really have a go.

Gordon

Should be interesting to hear from an expert - look forward to your post Gordon !

I can honestly say I would buy it again in a heartbeat ! - It`s so convenient - I`m about 50-50 R1 /R2 so not having to change regionsmanually or worry about RCE is a delight.The good points are still valid - it makes bad dvds look good - significant reduction in grain and jaggies - just beautiful.

It is softer,as I said before - I sometimes find myself trying to up the sharpness (I can`t because it has no user controls, and sharpness is disabled on Progressive input to the HT200).The remote is a pain at times , and the loading time is very slow.Occasional locking - have to turn off/on to open tray.There is also some question about one of the capacitors being prone to overheating - not had it myself, but as the unit does not shutdown in standby mode (just dims lights apparently) it appears this is a concern only if you don`t turn off the player when finished (or you have a marathon 24 hour session!).

Can`t wait to fully appreciate 576p(only seeing 450 lines in 16:9 at the mo -svga HT200) - The extra 126 lines must improve things significantly I would hope(and its brill at the mo!!), although with the softer picture, I`m a little concerned that the Panamorph lens may soften it further -we`ll see.

Bought mine from hivizone.com -didn`t get stung for customs.

Bodes well for new machines using sage - I would think when(if) The big boys start using this chip - they are gonna turn some heads !

It`s not the ultimate player - but it will do me until the ultimate arrives - at the current rate that could be some time!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom