1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SKYWORTH REVIEW

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by tiberious, Jun 7, 2001.

1. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It came,I saw - I`m conquered !!
    Downers

Packing is non existent - I opened the parcel to find a large dent in the metal housing just above the tray - not good, but after removing the housing and applying a little pressure, it was fine !!

Build quality is laughable - it weighs about 10lbs, and while I was taking the housing off, the front of the tray dropped off !!(it clips back on-I think it`s plastic !).

Anyhow, on a high `cos no duty/customs - I proceeded to set it up.I hooked it up via component to my HT200, shooting on to a 7ft screen.Audio was fed through a Pioneer 908 receiver.

I had read of Y/C delay problems when using component rather than the VGA connection, but i`m happy to report no problems on my set.

Straightforward setup menus -only took 5 mins before I was up and running - although, be aware, there is NO picture processing with this unit (no sharpness/contrast etc).

Anyway, acid test for me was R1 Great Escape - Non anamorphic, and unwatchable on my Pioneer 626 - shimmering,jaggies galore and halo - looks worse than vhs !! - On the Skyworth - bingo !! jaggies and halo almost completely eradicated,shimmering significantly reduced and noticeable reduction in grain -I could sit and enjoy it !!

Next up - The Thing R2.The dog running through the snow at the start always gave problems with jaggies, and the helicopter was bad (halo) - again, bingo !!SORTED !!

By special request, I also studied chapter 15 of Gladiater - the battle of Carthage.To cut a long story short, to my eyes, the "problems" were solved - no shimmering of chainmail,no moire,good clear detail on tunics - a very small amount of jaggy on the front tier of the coliseum but all a considerable improvement on the 626.

Only had an hour or so to play, so will give it a good run out over the weekend - any questions, or problem scenes, I`d be happy to check out if I can.

By the way,when running the HT200 via progressive, picture processing menus are reduced (cant adjust sharpness,or y/c delay),so allied to the lack of these controls on the Skyworth, it may cause problems.Also, on some scenes the picture appeared a little "soft".

Overall ,for £250, it looks a steal !!( find another player giving PAL progressive, and using the Faroudja chipset for de-interlacing for this price !!).

2. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    That's impressive - I've seen that shot on an HT200 (and Sony LCD and Sanyo VLP30) with a Tag DV32R and it looked bad on all of them.

Cheers,
    Liam

3. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,660
    Picture soft?
    GOOD!
    The best pictures as seen from CRT and indeed at the cinema itself are a tad soft.
    It's a more natural picture and easy to watch.
    LCD pictures (and maybe DLP also) can be too sharp. They are unnatural and become taxing. Perfect for presentations, but no good for video.
    Thanks for the mini review, and if you are inclined, please edit your post to add more details as you get used to the machine.

4. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    happy to do so SPECTRE !!

-The softness, wasn`t a bad thing - but it was the fact that the "crutch" of tweakability was removed that made me a little nervous !

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tiberious,
    Is the skyworth worthy of replacing your main DVD player?
    Also, have you checked for any lip sync probs?
    How is it with audio,VCD and MP3?
    Enjoy your new toy!

6. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    did a quick check for lip synch - looked fine,but I want to look in more depth.

Audio cd was fine for me (hooked to receiver via digital coax) - I`m sure purists would have something to say , but so far so good for me.

Audio for dvd - I havn`t tried the built in decoders, again, I`m using the receiver - and it sounds great ! (I`m told the analogue audio out is awful - but I don`t use them ,so don`t care.

Cant help on VCD or MP3 -don`t use them I`m afraid !!

- oh, the other silly thing is that the character displays are crap -

when loading a dvd , it displays the message

LOAd (mixes caps and small caps !)

Funny old world isn`t it !!

7. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh - and yes, if results are confirmed ,this DEFINATELY takes pride of place in the old HT !!(626 HEADS FOR THE LIVING ROOM !)

8. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Ah well now rather than say "soft" we should be saying "smooth". Just that "soft" has certain negative conotations and we're not talking loss in detail after all but lack of overdone edge enhancement or clipped edges.

9. MattB

MattB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    How noisy is the transport? Can't be any worse than my DVD750!

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    I'm with MrD. I still remember seeing a double stack of Runco 8" projectors and being astounded at how fluid the image was but also how much detail there was...

I'm sure this is what Spectre meant though.

Gordon

11. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I`m told the VGA-VGA hook up to the HT200 Isn`t viable - will be ok for 480P , but not 576P - which is a shame.

Transport no noisier than the 626 (quieter I think) - I`ll be checking again this weekend.

It is slow though - particularly when loading/unloading discs (gets to the point when you think somethings wrong - then works!!) - also, if you push the tray in at all, the auto try wont work - you have to push it in completely, before the button will work again.

Seems to me to be a great product,dirt cheap - fantastic pictures,but cheap build,no frills.

The other players coming up ,using the same chipset, should be something to behold - and if we get sensible pricing and the 576P protection scandal sorted, we will be in Heaven !!

12. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Tiberious

Sounds really good !

Can you tell me how you bought yours ? time for me to spend some money..

Cheers
    Gary

13. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gary

I bought from hivizone.com

- be aware , I think they have a backlog of orders - last I heard, delivery is now July.

-but they were good at responding to emails, and were very customs friendly , quoting a value of $100 on the box (but I didnt get done anyway !) - but I did ask them specifically about the value,as I heard some in the US had $340 on the box (cost inc shipping)

Have fun mate.

14. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Tiberious:

"the VGA-VGA hook up to the HT200 Isn`t viable - will be ok for 480P , but not 576P - which is a shame."

How come you can't do the VGA-VGA ?

My Davis projector does not have component inputs so the VGA input is the only way I could get the Skyworth to work for progressive with my projector.

Cheers
    Gary

[ 14-06-2001: Message edited by: Gary Palmer ]

15. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Chris came in yesterday to see me with the new HT200DM prototype. I'll post later about how I got on...

I would point out though that we had pal progressive coming out of an iscan direct to the VGA input of the HT200. There was a picture, I'm pretty sure of it.

Gordon

16. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ah well. Itchy fingers, I just ordered a Skyworth.

Gordon, if it arrives in time (no guarantee) do you want me to bring it to THE EVENT !

Cheers
    Gary

17. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
  18. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Gordon, no rest for the wicked..

Tiberious, thanks for the info, drop me an email if you have any further discoveries or comments about the player..

Cheers All
    Gary

19. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tiberious

Did you notice any lyp sync problems with the PAL progressive on the Skyworth?

Thanks

20. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Alan !
    >
    > As you may have seen, I now have the Skyworth "in the
    > house" !!.Blimey, what a difference !!
    >
    > Quick question for you -
    >
    > I am running progressive component into the HT200 at
    > the moment ,although I`m told the VGA out would be
    > better still.Are there any issues with using the vga
    > out on the Skyworth into the VGA in on the HT200?
    >
    > Are the menu options the same (I notice I now have no
    > control over sharpness or y/c delay)as with
    > component??
    >
    > Any thoughts appreciated.

Steve,

The PC input should be OK for 480p (NTSC) but not for PAL Input 6
    Progressive Component is the one optimised.

The above question/response to/from Alan Roser at Owl.

I will get a VGA-VGA lead anyway,and have a look.
    No Lypsynch problems on any PAL discs (so far).

Family away at the weekend, so hoping to actually watch a whole film !!

21. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hooked up vga-vga.....green picture !!(both 480p and 576p).

What is wrong here? - what is the correct input selection on the HT200 ? (i think I was using graphicsRGB - only one I got any kind of picture on )

22. VintageMark

VintageMark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tiberious,

On the HT200 VGA is the GraphicsRGB Input... I think its input 9 on the menu..

I have PAL Progressive via Iscan Pro and a Pioneer 737... the picture is fine... unless its an iffy cable I cant imagine why the picture would be green...

Mark.

23. Oasis

Oasis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Tiberious,

I don't know the Sony or the Skyworth, but a green screen on 'component' sources usually indicates that the source is set to Y,Pr,Pb and the projector is set to RGB.
    You should see hints of other colours, but not a lot - if you have AVIA or VE try colour bars, if not try Toy Story 2 opening title - Where there is strong Red or Blue you should see a greenie redish or greenie blueish.

I am guessing that the Skyworth only outputs RGB OR YPrPb but not at the same time. Is there a menu selection in the Skyworth?

Hope this helps!

Oasis

24. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks guys -i`ll check out those ideas.
    I did notice the cable I used had pin number 9 missing - is this usual?(not very computer minded unfortunately !!) - maybe this is part of the problem.

25. Oasis

Oasis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    VGA cables do usually have one pin missing - I've got a feeling that pin is a voltage output from the PC to theoretically power a display or interface & to make sure it doesn't cause a problem at the other end most cables have this pin removed completley.

Whatever the actual reason I've got numerous VGA cables with pin 9 missing so don't worry!

Oasis

26. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Tiberious

Skyworth arrived this morning - no vat or duty !

I may be watching a movie or 2 tonight !

Gary

27. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I received my Skyworth at the weekend (actually it was posted the previous Friday and delivered on Tuesday - but I only returned to London on Thursday)

Unfortunately I got stung for £40.25 (bastard customs people - although I have imported more than 200 DVD's without ever being charged despite the cost so I suppose I shouldn't complain.)

I was also finalling installing my PLV30 projector over the weekend so my time was a little short with the DVD player. However -

This projector and DVD cobination was superb in my opinion. The image was very cinematic - fast pans and movement were very smooth and the picture looked very detailed. I have had a demo of this projector at a couple of different places and never seen it look so good.

Since I really haven't had that much time with my new setup I'll reserve further judgement until I can use it more - but up till now it looked great!

28. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey - nice one Gary !!

Don`t forget you need to hook up via composite or s-video first to access the menus - you can then choose to change output to component and progressive (the output of progressive is in the LAST menu - there is also a similar field in the first menu, "video" I think its called).

Hope all is well - look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Enjoy......

29. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,190
    Now you guys have had time with the Skyworth to play with it, what do you think.?

30. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Where can I read up on the skyworth? and where did you buy from.

Cheers
    Tim