1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skyworth owners

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Timh, Dec 5, 2001.

1. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Hi all,

I have set my heart on buying an Hitachi pj-lc2001 lcd projector, I would like to take advantage of progressive scan without going the HCPC route. The problem is that the Hitachi will not except a progressive scan imput from a progressive scan dvd player, but will except progressive from a HCPC. I have noticed that the Skyworth has a RGB (VGA) Out socket, the Hitachi will except a rgb (vga) signal, so am I right in thinking that I could get a progressive image from the Skyworth, by using the vga socket?
    Or am I clutching at straws?

cheers

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    VGA, 600 x 480 at 60hz is cery similar to de-interlaced NTSC, 720 x 480 @60Hz from DVD.....So this is likely to work.

Pal prog is 720 x 576 @ 50Hz (from DVD)....not quite the same........So you'll need to confirm this.

Although it's called a VGA socket it's just a derivative term applied to an HD15 socket on video devices. This socket can carry many different specifications of signals, not just VGA.

Gordon

3. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Gordon,

I've already said something about this to Tim over on AVSForums. The Skyworth will output progressive ntsc (720 x 480 @60Hz) and pal (720 x 576 @ 50Hz) on its "vga" output.

I'm not familiar with this projector and I was suggesting to Tim that he needs to find out what the resolution of the panel was, because some panel projectors do internal scaling that may not be compatible with the Skyworths progressive pal output. I suspect that it's fine with NTSC.

Unless anyone can comment directly on this projector, it might be possible to set up these output resolutions on a htpc and give them a try out.

Brian.

4. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Gordon & Brian, Thanks for the help, I have found a small amount of info on the Hitachi. as follows

Resolution : 800 x 600 x 3 panels
    Computer compatibility
    VGA socket:
    PC : 640 x 480, 720 x 400, 800 x 600
    PC compressed: 832 x 624, 1024 x 768

imput signals: vgs, svga, xga, ntsc, ntsc 4.43, pal, pal60, secam, m pal, n pal.

Its all above me, so any help would be great.

Cheers

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    From those specs it will not accept pal progressive.

However, I would see if there's anyway you can try the two together

Gordon

6. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Thanks Gordon

7. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Tim,

I concur with Gordon....NO pal progressive.

Technically pal progressive doesn't "exist" yet, so it's not generally available on projector inputs.

However, I'd give it a try and see what happens, it might be that it does handle pal progressive and Hitachi just don't advertise the fact. With pal progressive on the horizon (although it seems to stay on the horizon !) it would be sensible to build the capability into projectors coming onto the market. Getting your hands on a Skyworth might be the difficult bit.

In many respects it depends what you are going to do with your system. If you only use ntsc discs (as I do) then you have no real need for pal capability although it's nice to have for the odd disc from the video rental store. If you have a big pal collection, then it might be a different matter.

Brian

8. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Thanks Brian, Unfortuantly 90% of my software is region 2, and I do rent r2 on a weekly basis. I guess I could always start to buy more r1 software instead of waiting for the r2 releases.
    But like you say, give it a try, you never know.
    I could always change my mind and go the HCPC route, not sure if I fancy that though.

cheers

9. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Iv'e been thinking.... I think I will go the HCPC route to get the full benefit of progressive scan with the Hitachi projector.
    Creative do the dxr3 mpeg decoder with 5.1 sound for £65, I guess this is a lot cheaper than upgrading my processor and mother board.
    How come more people seem to use a software player for dvd playback, surely a mpeg card would be better.
    I remember a test some time ago and the mpeg card on a pc blew away all the competing dvd players on picture quality.