1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skyworth Nightmare - help !!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by tiberious, Jun 20, 2001.

1. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sat down to watch a movie last night, and ended up sad and confused- after 4 hours of twiddling !!.

I hope this is something simple - maybe it`s not even the Skyworth - but when I put in the dvd (toy story 2 , region 1) - the image was not centred on screen -in fact it had moved up and to the left , leaving about a 4 inch gap at the bottom and right side of the screen.I shifted over to tv(s-video) and the picture was perfectly placed.

After trying about 20 dvds, both PAL and NTSC,a number of problems became apparent

1. The auto switching feature is not 100% - I noticed when changing a pal disc to a NTSC disc, the picture was constantly "jerky" - like it was running at the wrong speed.A manual change to NTSC solved the problem.

2. this image shift is a major problem - I paused the THX logo on Toy Story2, and tried to centre it on the screen - couldnt do it.It remained to the left -I tried moving it over, using the "positioning" feature of the HT200, but only managed to move it a little - to centre it rquired moving the projector to the right (leaving a gap on the left).

Is this a problem of the Skyworth, or the projector ?

Is it due to the connections ? (progressive component)

Anyone else experience this kind of problem with the Skyworth - or any other player ?

All thoughts welcome - I really want to get this sorted tonight if possible, before I contact hivizone about a possible fault.

THANKS GUYS

2. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Tiberious,I seem to remember other skyworth users posting this problem on the avs site,something about progresive component not mixing well with certain projectors,I will trawl through the massive thread and try and get back to you as soon as posible,don`t quote me but I think some swithched to rgb and the problem vanished,anyhow I wiil be back soon ,bone daddy :D

3. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi again Tiberious,just been through the 8 page thread on avs and it seems to be a mixed reaction - if you have a red saturation choose component output on both video & p video outputs.Somebody had your problem with the image moving and suggested hitting the auto synch button on your projectors remote and that cured his problem,using the vga output rids the player of the Yc delay from the component output,but then some people report no delay !The image moving problem seems to be with the method of connection and if you have selected auto or ntsc,and what kind of projector you are using,judging by the general flow of comments.If you have a vga input maybe try that,hope some of this is of use to you anyhow.Now all I have to do is sit patiently and wait for my player to turn up :p

4. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Bone daddy !!

I`m pleased to say the problem appears to be solved ! - hurray !!!

I tried hitting the auto synch button on the HT200 2 or 3 times - image moved around the screen .On the 3rd press - bingo !!
    Hopefully it will stay that way.

Also tried the vga connection again - got a picture this time , but there were translucent vertical bars across the screen - bit like watching through plastic curtains !! - not good - allthough PAL was much better than NTSC.

The picture via component is so good, I don`t see this as an issue - all those awaiting this machine will not be dissapointed !.It just makes me wonder what we will see when the big boys implement the Faroudja chipset into their machines - one day, all machines will be made this way !!

5. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Tiberious,glad to be of help to you on your problem,my Skyworth has arrived today,got stung for £25 in charges but it`s not the end of the world.Only had a quick play,but the picture is noticably improved over my old player,richer color/better contrast/etc/etc and i`m only connected via s-video at the moment!!!.Will post a more comrehensive appraisal when I`ve had more time to view it. Thanks Bone Daddy :D