1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SKYWORTH in the UK !!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by gizlaroc, Nov 2, 2001.

1. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    i spoke to www.madeiragames.com today to see if they could get any of the shinco progressive dvd players , as they used to stock the older models, they said they were considering stocking the SKYWORTH , there only concern is whether people would pay the price, you have to remember that they have to pay shipping from HK and then the import duty, then they have to pay the VAT on the price they are sold at.
    There are no discounts for buying the units in any amount under 100 pieces and then it is not worth metioning.
    they would have to sell the players at 300.00 sterling to break even.
    my mate ordered one direct and only payed the vat on the purchase price , as is the norm, and it was marked at $100 , he still ended up paying about 270.00 sterling (i keep typing sterling cause my keyboard is in US layout :) )
    I know i would rather pay another 30-40 quid to buy it from the uk , specialy if they replace the capacitor before it is sent out.
    do you think that they would sell some of these machines at this price or would people rather save 40quid and ship it themselves.
    i like the idea of the garuntee being with a uk company.
    they have to get 12 units to keep shipping costs down.

how many people would be interested at this price ???

i was about to order from overseas but will wait to hear what interest is like.

i would much rather order from a UK based company that has engineers working there, these are Hong Kong players after all, not the best build quality :)

2. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    yeah that was where i was going to order from.

couple of questions if you dont mind :)

how long have you had it ???
    how do you rate it??
    what did you use before , is it worth the change??

thanks

G

4. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought it to evaluate the Faroudja chip. I use an 8" CRT so the Skyworth wasn't really suitable because of the scan lines. At the time I was thinking of buying the Faroudja NR scaler to replace my HTPC, the Skyworth was a cheap way of finding out the de-interlacing potential of the scaler. I decided to stick with my HTPC and sold the Skyworth after the evaluation.

5. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    I think i will go with a htpc myself.It is going in a dedicated room , well a loft conversion, i have a 15K limit to do the whole room, so i am hoping i will be able to do the conversion for 10K leaving me with a bit extra for kit :)
    i am using a PLUS UP880 dlp at the mo but as it is a dedicated room i really should put a CRT in there i guess.
    i wanted a dvd player in there as well for user freindliness ( missus and daughter ) and thought the skyworth would be a good move , maybe i will stick with my Pioneer 717 for everyday use then.
    or is the skyworth better than the 717??

thanks for the reply

6. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've not seen the picture on a 717 so can't give you a definitive answer to your question, but the selling point of the Skyworth is it's de-interlacing, leaving that out of the equation and just looking at the overal picture and sound quality there are better DVD players available for less money, for example the Toshiba 210E.

If you are going for an HTPC/CRT solution you may want to contact Terry Catlin, he also was interested in the Skyworth but has decided to go for the HTPC option.

http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?...ms/showthread.php?s=&postid=142653#post142653

7. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    thanks for the reply Gary.

i had a play about today with my projector to see if it could handle a pal progressive signal, anyway. after setting a few custom settings , no problem.
    however i tried it running a dvd at the native 800x600 72Hz , wow what a difference!!!
    HTPC is deffinitely the way to go, compared the 800x600 with my Pioneer 717 ( s-video ) and it wipes the floor with it.

tried 720x576 on a pal disc , which i believe is the PAL progressive resolution, better than the 717 but obviously the scaler in the PLUS kicks in and still not a patch on 800x600.

and this was all done on my dell laptop , it does have a geforce and digital out, but im sure with a dedicated HTPC with a decent power supply and sound card the picture can only get better.

I am gutted i found this forum , its costing me a fortune :)

what graphics card do people recommend, and sound card ???

and also i would like a small case if possible , what about a server rack ?? anyone used one??

sorry for all the questions, and thanks.

Guy

8. ukaudiophile

ukaudiophile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Hello,

Guy:-

You asked about what sound card to put in your HTPC. For me the best choice is the M-Audio Audiophile 96/24 card. This gives you 96/24 digital input and output, analogue input and output (great for recording off old tapes or from vinyl for use on CD-R) and a digital pass through so you can output either DD or DTS streams from a DVD. The cost is about £140 but the sound quality, even from the internal DAC's) makes the Soundblaster stuff look like it should have a Fisher Price logo on it.

If I can be of any further assistance then please don't hesitate to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dave

9. WSquared

WSquared

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am interested in a player like the skyworth. But for £300(plus shipping probably), I'm tempted to get it shipped from Hong Kong myself.

WSquared