Skyworth - Fault

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by pc99, Jul 12, 2001.

1. pc99

pc99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just a cautionary tale about the quality control on the Skyworth 1050p.

I took delivery of mine on the 19th June and posted saying I was impressed, despite a few foibles.

I am sad to announce today that my is dead (as the proverbial dodo). The little blue lights on the fascia are no more. The player does not power up at all.

This was my biggest fear about ordering abroad and I am currently awaiting a reply o my email from HiviZone regarding what their returns procdedure is.

I assume I now have to decide whether to ask for a refund or a replacement. I am a bit reluctant to get another one, having had a failure after three weeks.

Out of curiousity, if I get a refund, does anyone know how to reclaim VAT and duty paid to the courier?

Oh well, guess I won't be watching any DVDs this weekend.

Cheers - PC99

2. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Have a look at avsforum.com. It seems that the Skyworth has a faulty capacitor which is prone to cook prematurely. If you are brave enough, you can replace it yourself (they have given thorough instructions at that forum).

It's a pity they release a player with such potential and such poor quality.

Regards.

3. pc99

pc99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the info Grubert.

I've had a look at the forum.

It seems there is a design fault.

I certainly don't want to have to keep physically switching my player on and off (my old Pioneer sat in standby between usage for 2 years).

I am competant to replace a capacitor, but I don't want to invalidate the warranty only to have a different fault occur somewhere down the line.

I may have to consider a refund. The sad thing is I've sold my old player now, so I'll have to hunt around for a different player which has fully automatic region selection and RCE.

What a dilemma. I have to wait and see what HiviZone say.

pc99

4. johnny

johnny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Let us know how it pans out pc99 as I still have my mind set on getting one in the future and would be interested to see how their aftersales service rates

5. lchiu7

lchiu7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Skyworth has died also - first you would turn it on and the Load sign flashed forever. Then it won't turn on at all. Since I bought this in HK (and live there) I took it back to the store (had it only 2 weeks). I am demanding a replacement but if it's the bad cap problem I could get another in the same run. Maybe I should ask for it to be fixed instead. Certainly replacement of the cap has fixed pretty much all of those had the problem and reported it on the AVSForum

Laurence

6. pc99

pc99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've had a reply from HiviZone, saying that if I replace the capacitor myself and a further fault is apparent they will follow it up.

Of course my local Maplins don't have the right capacitor in stock (anybody would think they were an electronics shop or something).

I'll post the results when I get my replacement capacitor.

PC99

7. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yikes !

You don`t need that pc99 - my sympathies.I take it you left it in standby - this seems to be the main reason for the capacitor overload.Please keep us up on how you get on - I have`nt had the problem yet (blue lights annoyed me, so I always turned offat the unit - thank God !) - but may do in the future, so a good source of components and experience would be useful !

Good luck mate.

8. pc99

pc99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well, I got a replacement capacitor and fitted it this evening. Thankfully the player is now working again. I also disconnected the blue lights and the karaoke board for good measure.

The power to the player is now also switched through my amp. so fingers crossed all will be well.

It's a shame though that these problems exist. I would have to recommend that potential purchasers at least wait for confirmation that newer batches don't suffer this problem.

I have one other puzzling problem. If I try to use the VGA output to my projector I get darker bands rippling through the picture. But if I connect to my monitor I get a perfect picture. I assumed it was interference introduced by the long lead, however connecting my PC to my projector using the same lead gives a perfect picture also. Anybody got any ideas.

Anyway, I'm off to watch a film now.

Cheers

9. pc99

pc99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Tiberious, it seems from my readings on avsforum that you are wise to physically switch off the player between uses.

My plan is to replace the capacitor then connect the player to the switched mains output on my Denon amp. So it will only be powered up when the amp. is on. Still waiting for a new capacitor to arrive.

There's also mention on avsforum that you can disconnect the blue lights and the karaoke board to reduce the strain on the power supply. If the lights annoy you, you may want to disconnect them anyway.

I'm just hoping that the replacement capacitor does the job, because I can solder, but I'm not too hot on diagnosing faults. And I got the impression from HiViZone that they're not prepared to reimburse shipping costs if I have to return the player.

I'll keep you all posted.

Cheers