1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skyworth DVD players

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Gary Lightfoot, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    I'm looking into getting a progressive player fro my pj, and was considering the Philips 936sa, until I saw the Skyworth pjs - they have vga out as well as component.

Has anyone got one of these and is the vga a lot better than the component, and how does it compare to a Radeon htpc?

TIA

Gary.

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I compared a Phillips 962 to my Radeon PC on a ae100 a while back and posted my thoughts here, but to sumarise there wasn't that much in it, I think the PC had the edge but not by much but I think the PC has more to offer with higher resolution PJ's and of course offeres an upgrade route as and when the latest thing comes out, for instance there has been dx9 and cat 3.1 drivers as well as an upgrade from 9000 to 9500 cards, all of which has made a difference since I did the comparison.

3. Lare

Lare

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah so to answer Gary's question you have not compared a VGA outputting DVD player (like Skyworth) with HTPC, but thanks for your share.

4. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    So Lare, thanks for sharing your experience of your Skyworth player, that really adds a useful comment to the thread:mad:

5. Lare

Lare

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair enough :)

However, I have got the Skyworth myself but haven't compared the video quality with HTPC.
    But what I can say is that I'm very pleased with the quality.

6. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    In my opinion there should be very little if any difference between a VGA output or component from any player if they have been manufactured to the same tollerances, its the same old whats better. rgb or component and the answer is that there is so little in it that its not really worth talking about if both techniques have been correctly applied.

The difference between a VGA outputting player like the skyworth and a HTPC depends on the display device. If the VGA output can be made to match the resolution required by the display then the VGA should be as good as the HTPC, if it doesn't match exactly then the HTPC will have the advantage becaue it has the ability to map pixel perfect to the display negating any need for scaling in the display device.

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    Thanks john, that makes good sense.

I was initialy thinking of going for the Philips 963sa, but the Skyworth looked interesting due to the vga. As this doesn't necessarily equate to a better picture, I may think again.

Cheers.

Gary.

8. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Hi Gary

I am always on the look out for a good player also

You should try a Limit from Richer Sounds. This now gives me the best picture I have seen out of ( Skyworth, Sony 7700, Philips 962sa ). Be careful though as there are alot of dodgy ones so you may have to try a few before you get a good one

9. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

The Skyworth is a nice player when you use the vga output but it's a bit of a pain to actually use. If you look over on AVS Forums you'll find a lot of comments on the Skyworth which deal with it's slow remote and the 'cap' problem which it had (hopefully resolved by now). My Skyworth has a slightly low output so I have to 'up' the brightness and contrast a bit. I've had it about 18 months, but if I were looking for something now, I'd probably be looking for something with a pal progressive output from one of the major manufacturers. Depending on your display device that may mean that you'll have to buy a component to rgb converter ( e.g from Burosch) which would up the cost a bit. Another alternative would be the Philips 1000 MkII dvd recorder which has a vga output.

brian

10. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

I just notice the 'new' Skyworth player on the Hivizone website. That may well be worth looking at.

Brian

11. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    Those are the ones I was thinking of... Not sure what the difference is between them though (1050p and 2750d).

The Philips 963sa was my original choice, and I'm using it on an NEC HT1000 pj, hopefully to replace th htpc for ease of use.

I'll try to get some more info from avs before I decide I think.

Thanks for all who have replied. :)

Gary.

12. dogastus

dogastus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Garry,

How do you like the HT1000? I noticed a comment of yours a while back on the newsgroup about rumoured tearing when using it on PAL. I'm torn between getting the HT1000 and the InFocus 7200 but the latter is a lot more £££ :eek:

Regards,
    Nigel.

13. olaiho

olaiho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick warning: Skyworth DVD players are somewhat incompatible with the new Panasonic projector models.

I have been able to test the Skyworth 1050P with my Panasonic PT-AE100.

There is a major setback: when connected with VGA, PAL discs are unwatchable. The picture exhibits macrovision-like effects. Brightness of the picture varies continuously.

NTSC via VGA = no problems, great picture. NTSC and PAL via component = no problems, good picture.

Skyworth 1050P has also been tested with the Panasonic PT-AE300, by a user in Finland. This combination also exhibits the same type of interference.

To sum it up: if you have an AE100, AE200 or AE300 and are planning to get a Skyworth, you'll have to stick to component outputs. If you are planning to use component, I suggest you buy a better player, like the Philips 963SA.

According to reports, Skyworth 1050P VGA + Sanyo PLV-Z1 combination works great, with VGA producing a clearly better picture than component.

I have also tested the Nintaus PDVD-N9769 with my AE100. Everything worked great, even PAL via VGA. However, I would not recommend the Nintaus to anyone because of its poor usability.

BR,
    Olaiho

14. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

I'm down in Southampton. If anyone want's to bring along their projector to try with my Skyworth then they would be most welcome.

Brian.

15. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    dogastus: I like the HT1000 very much!

The PAL tearing is fixed, and so far, using 72 or 75hz from htpc also appears tear-free. That was unnexpected. :)

RGB via SCART shows macrovision issues, so possibly the Skyworth vga will also, although htpc doesn't via the same connection (different type of rgb).

The skin tones are noticably better, and the pj beats my old Davis in every respect. The image is more 'solid' via component too, which is why I prefered that connection to any other. HTPC was a little better, but seemed to give a harsher picture to my eyes. Hence my need for component output. Reports from over at avs suggest that progressive gives a better picture still.

I'm kinda torn really, plus the advantage of a UK bought player is that it'll be easier/cheaper to return should it go wrong.

Gary.

16. dogastus

dogastus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the info, Gary, it is reassuring to know it works ok in PAL. I really need a side by side demo of the HT1000 and the InFocus projector to decide which one to get!

Regards,
    Nigel.

17. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    Have you looked over at avsforum? I think this was covered over there.

The HT1000 has been found to pretty accurate with its contrast claims, so beats the 7200 in that respect. The Toshiba MT8 is a very similar model, so should be worth a look too (I think one is a clone of the other).

I think that the only area which the Infocus is obviously better is resolution, but how much of an advantage that would be considering the resolution of an anamorphic PAL dvd is only 1024 x 576, (and falls within the HT1000s 4:3 panel perfectly) can only be determined by a direct comparison.

If you manage to see them both side by side, I'll be interested to hear how they compare. I have to say that out of the box, the HT1000 is good, but is a lot better with a little tweaking, so a direct comparison of an HT1000 without adjustments probably won't do it justice. The same can probably be said for the Infocus too.

Gary.