1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skyworth and Loewe Aconda

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by hudson806, May 29, 2001.

1. hudson806

hudson806

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I've being following the whole Skyworth DVD discussion with interest, and I'd particularly like to gather your thoughts on hooking one up to my Loewe Aconda as I'm a little unsure of practical it would be:

As the Aconda does not have progressive scan inputs, I was thinking of hooking the Skyworth up to the VGA input on the set. Of course, since my VGA board hasn't arrived yet, I'm not sure if it is practical to use it for video - eg: will the TV take an audio input at the same time as displaying VGA?Does anyone know is the VGA board will work at 50Hz as well as 60Hz?

My next query is with regard to 3:2 pulldown detection/removal. I hear that the US model is rather good at this. Is that true for the Euro model too? The closest I have found to this feature for S-Video input is something Loewe call DMM, but its crap.

In summary, I'd like to try out this setup. Does anyone think this is a good idea?

(Apologies if this doesn't belong in the progressive scan forum, but ye guys are the experts in this kind of thing )

thanks in advance.

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    OK, I'm close to the setup your looking at. I have the Loewe Aconda with VGA board, but I use a HTPC rather than a progressive scan player. I can only get a picture using 640x480@60Hz. I have tried 50Hz and a number of custom resolutions such as 720x480 without any luck. Having said all that the picture quality that I get with the HTPC is stunning. If you do go ahead with the Skyworth I would be very interested in how you get on.

Jeff

3. hudson806

hudson806

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeff,

Thanks for the fast response. If you can only use the VGA board at 60Hz, how do you play PAL material? RBG/YUV/S-Video?

Also, is any 3:2 pulldown visible on the VGA image, or has it been removed by the television?

Finally, how stunning would you say the image is when compared to a decent RGB input?

Cheers,
    Hud

4. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    The WinDVD software takes care of all the scaling and pulldown stuff. Most of my DVDs are R1 so the TV would be using 60Hz anyway. I previously used a Sony 725D connected using RGB, the HTPC picture quality has that beaten by some margin. You get much more detail and the Colour fidelity also seems better. The only problem is that the picture is so good I now want a larger screen. :)
    HTPCs aren't an option for everyone though, they take a very long time to research and get right. Also when you get the VGA card for the Aconda the geometry will be probably well out. You do get a new menu item for VGA geometry but that is too basic. I needed to use the service menu to correct the geometry.

Jeff

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Proper de-interlacing, which for 60Hz video from 24fps film will require 3:2 pulldown detection, will be done in the progressive DVD player or HTPC. The Loewe VGA input by-passes all the digital processing associated with interlaced RGB/S-video/YUV/composite, so 3:2 pulldown is not an issue for the TV it simply displays whatever is input via VGA.

A progressive 3:2 pulldown sequence will be present in the video signal due to the fact that the 24fps film source will have to be up-converted to 60fps (60Hz progressive).

6. hudson806

hudson806

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys. I'm beginning to get the feeling that this might not be the ideal way to go for two reasons:

1 I won't be able to play PAL discs through the VGA input.

2 NTSC discs, while probably very sharp through VGA, will still suffer from 3:2 pulldown.

Are both of those statements correct?

Throwing it open slightly, what would anybody here suggest as the best option for hooking a Skyworth up to an Aconda?

cheers,
    Hud

7. JYOUNG

JYOUNG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im not sure what a skyworth is but I have had my Divx/DVD player hooked up both vga and s-video with every type of dvd and fps rate including PAL. and it always looks absolutely stunning. The Loewe aconda is simply the best tv you can get and this thing does it all!!!! Hope that helps.