Skyworth 1050p PAL progressive-> Arcam DV88+ Worth it?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Smurfin, Nov 6, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,972
    My question is quite simple really. Currently I'm using a Skyworth 1050p PAL progressive player, hooked up to my Sanyo PLV-Z1 using Van Damme Component, and to my Lexicon DC-2 processor using cambridge audio co-ax.

Whilst the picture the Skyworth offers seems good to me, it sounds crap for CD playback, and the player itself is a bugger to use (non-responsive remote, awkward remote etc). The thing has done a sterling job for me, costing as it did £50 from these very forums.

But am I missing out on anything?

Not sure how it compares on the audio front to other DVD players, but I can't help but wonder if the Skyworth is my weak link.

So the question is.....am I likely to see a marked improvement in either a. The picture quality, or b. audio quality.

Re: audio, I'm sure 2 channel will sound much better, but the primary use is still 5.1 stuff.

A 2nd hand DB88+ will likely cost me £620-£650, meaning a £600 outlay.

Is it £600 better than the Skyworth, the Cheeky Chinese player that looks tacky, is poorly constructed but has a superb chip?

Views welcome:)

(buns, no comments about me upgrading;))

2. robocop

robocop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Not trying to sound too much like a salesman here Matt, but the honest truth for me is this. For years I collected CD's, I only ever played them in my car,never bothering at home because I never owned a dedicated CD player. I spin a few up on the Pioneer 717 and 737 than I owner, but never to any great degree.
    This however all changed, when I bought my DV88+. CD playback became something that I really enjoyed, the sound quality was/is that good.
    I'm now happy just to listern to CDs as well as watch movies.
    The Arcam revitalised my enjoyment of this media. As far as video performance, what more can I add, that hasn't already been said before. You'll notice the difference, of that I can assure you.

3. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I remember correctly, I very rudely pointed this out to you as soon as I arrived to collect your speakers :D, immediately suggesting an upgrade.

And, if I remember correctly, you wanted to tread the HTPC route back then too, lost interest in the idea? It's probably the most effective Cost/Performance/Aesthetics trade-off you'll find for the money (but from my experience Sound Performance of HTPCs never stands up to much).

With regards to the Arcam, I'd be sceptical, as I think it's slightly over-priced (even in the S/H arena), and that there's cheaper players that offer more. But regardless, after having tested players of similar calibre with the same model number projector as you own in shops there's definitely gains to be had in performance, but £600 worth of picture gains? I'm thinking not.

Were I you, I'd be picking up a Pioneer 757Ai, which somewhat justifies the upgrade with its SACD/DVD-A & CD abilities (don't listen to the magazines... it's a very respectable CD player). Plus the experience of a well mixed SACD from two Servo 15's promises to be quite a thing ;).

4. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,972
    Yes you cheeky bastige;)

On a serious note, the picture from the Z1/Skyworth combo is superb and although I have thought about the HCPC route in the past, I really don't want the hassle (and hassle it surely is), plus I'm not prepared to compromise my sound for love nor money (given how much I've spent on upgrading all my speakers, adding another sub, and replacing processor and amps).

Is there anyone in Milton Keynes who'd be prepared to let me try out their higher end progressive DVD players? Free dual-BFD-Servo15 demos-plus tea will be happily provided:D