1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skystar 2 question?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by rigman, Jul 2, 2004.

1. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Hi

could anyone tell me how to install a Skystar 2 card without the software rewriting all of my internet settings. I have had to reinstall windows twice as my PC stops talking to my broadband modem and nothing I do can change it. I wanted to watch Euro1080 on it as the my old PC was not powerful enough. My new PC also gorunds to a halt with a program called server4PC taking up most of the CPU power

I had the skystar on my old PC and I must have fixed the problem on that but it was a while agao and I cannot remember how I did it.

I also cannot get Progdvb to see the card on my new PC but it works on my old one. It is so frustrating :mad:

thanks
    Darren

2. Pack Dude

Pack Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Im only guessing here but i think the skystar card can be used "as a satellite modem" so maybe it has set itself as the default tool to connected to the net.

im in dialup but have a look at your ISP's connection properties "maybe in network connections, win XP" something may have changed.

If you have not already have a look on the skystar website there maybe updated drivers.

3. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Yes the skystar card was designed as a satellite internet card and the drivers are for that but the computer will not see it unless the drivers are there. It is a bit of a catch 22. I interrogated everything to do with the internet settings and nothing would work at all so I ended up reinstalling windows. The second time I tried it the same thing happened. I am not stupid enough to try it a third time. I will do some further searching on the net

4. aligebes

aligebes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a Skystar 2 and I'm on broadband. Once I installed the software and got it working, I just went to the internet setup wizard in Control panels and followed the steps selecting my mobo's ethernet port for net access. Rebooted the PC and got net access back and still had sat TV.

It is annoying I know, but not as annoying as installing an Avermedia Card under XP!!

You do not need any of these daft CD's you get from ISP's these days, Your net access can be fully configured in as mentioned either Internet Setup or even Network Setup Wizard

5. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I tried it. I have got two ethernet ports on my PC and none of them worked. I tried disabling the Skystar and it still did not work and uninstalling the software. Nothing worked. Everything was telling me that it was okay but it was just not talking to the modem. Only a windows reload worked.

I even installed my PCI network card from the old computer with no success.

I know all about setting up the internet connections so It was not lack of knowledge as I managed to have it working no problems before I installed the Skystar card It was only after the software load that it seemed to switch off.

thanks for your suggestions guys

Darren