SkySports Red button service (multiple games)

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by NiPsTeR, May 4, 2007.

1. NiPsTeR

NiPsTeR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Is this available to virgin media customers ? I would have to have a guess and say NO! but this truly sucks if it is the case.

Can someone confirm.

If i havent explained in my title what i mean it is the service what is available if 2 games are being brodacast to the same channel at the same time and you can either watch both or receive details and highlights from the other game while watching 1.

Thanks in advanced.

2. green991

green991
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    erm, sorry no it is not available. in my experience there is no sky sports red button service.

3. DavidAth

DavidAth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I spoke to Virgin about this and they said Sky were being arsey about it & releasing the interactive functions on Sky Sports :thumbsdow
    They did say that they were hoping to continue negotiations with them sooner rather than later - I think they were just telling me what I wanted to hear :rolleyes:

4. daveoc

daveoc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, it doesn't work.

This means West Brom fans with VM will not be able to see tomorrows vital home game against Barnsley.

5. ScarySquirrel

ScarySquirrel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Another reason why I want to leave Virgin ASAP.

6. Azzin

Azzin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,072
    The lack of red button is down to nt's network and not Sky.

Sounds like the usual ntl spin to me. :rolleyes:

7. Analogue

Analogue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No its not - cable has far more options for interactive services than sky. I am sure that it is Sky being awkward.

Sky's interactive usually involve your box phoning sky at your expense.

8. Azzin

Azzin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,072
    Yes it is. :)

The OP was referring to the red button interactivity on Sky Sports-for example the other day on Sky Sports 1 (on Sky) you could watch the Man U game and the Chelsea game in split screen, but the option was not there on cable.

Exactly the same for the multi choice Champions League games, hit the red button and Sky and you can choose. The same applies to 'player cam'-it's available on Sky but not on cable.

It's all down to what the cable network is capable of doing (or not).

It's got nothing to do with any premium rate costs. :smashin:

9. Analogue

Analogue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry still don't agree - Cable as I said is capable of carrying as much and probably more of this type of service than Sky is via satellite. I am perfectly aware of the capability of the red button selections on Sky Sports, it purely selects another bit-stream for you to view. This is perfectly possible using cable. However if as has also been said Sky choose not to supply these other bit streams to VM then VM cannot supply them to you. The cable technology is perfectly capable of delivering them.

Cable is also capable of carrying interactive services for voting, chosing endings, buying, pay per view, etc. back down the TV cable without a phone line. Sky boxes can only use the phone line at your expense (not necessarily premium rate) to do this.

10. Azzin

Azzin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,072
    That's ok, it would be boring if we all agreed! :D

I agree with you, but there's no way that Sky would (or in fact could) get away holding onto that feature for so long.

11. Analogue

Analogue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rupert Murdoch will try anything! I hope Branson takes a bigger shareholding in VM at least Murdoch will get some decent competition which will be good for us all.

12. mitchec1

mitchec1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,119

Sky can get away with keeping interactive services. It goes back to the OFT review in 2002 where they looked at Sky's dominent position over pay tv and the rate card. Only sports and films we're covered to make sure that NTL/ TW (as they we're then) could have access to these. The interactive feed was considered to be a bonus for sky subscribers. You didn't have split screens and champions league multichoice then.

Funnily enough sky did offer these in the negotiations according to VM along with HD for £48 million on top of the Sky basics