Sky's War of the Worlds Season 1 TV Show (Disney +) Review

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
I've enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to tonight's third episode. Don't often disagree with you Cas but I think you've been a bit mean with the scoring. More watchable that the Beeb's poor offering and more grown up than Independence Day. The second episode kept the tension going quite well.

Thanks for the Review Cas.

Will have to wait for it to make it to Prime or iTunes over here to check it out, but the Trailer definitely did NOT grab my attention.
This looks a little more like a Sonic version of "Day of the Triffids" right now. Looks like they are just using the inference of the H. G. Wells Novel for hype.

(Triffids is a book that definitely could be wonderfully remade, since the success of "A Quiet Place" shows people still enjoy inferred danger)

It's a shame that the Beeb dropped the ball on the WOTW remake. I guess someone told the writers it was going to be a Dr. Who Episode. I had waited so long for a quality, faithful remake of the original WOTW Book.

do we need a faithful remake? personally I am a bit fed up of vastly inferior remakes for the sake of it

I have seen more of this and think it is pretty decent - maybe a 7 for me

The thing is here what is the point of watching it really?? Every man and his dog knows the story and have seen at least one version.

The only meaningful version that could be released now is some kind really good comedy version.

The 2018 French movie 'Just a Breath Away' did a better apocalypse with a toxic mist enveloping Paris, the survivors waiting in high buildings for their demise. Sky's War of the Worlds is an improvement after the BBC's effort, but for me anything with Gabriel Byrne is worth a watch.

do we need a faithful remake? personally I am a bit fed up of vastly inferior remakes for the sake of it

I have seen more of this and think it is pretty decent - maybe a 7 for me
I am with you on this really enjoyed it, watched it months ago on my kodi box so not sure why it takes so long to land in blighty, the action just keeps getting better 7.5 for me.

This is the point; there has never been a faithful Movie of the Book, so remakes don't come into it.

The BBC had the chance, but decided to turn it into a different Beast. This production makes the chances of a faithful version anytime soon even more distant, as it hijacked the name again, & so if anyone went for it, the general public would be likely to go "another War of the Worlds? We've just had two others!".

Was really disappointed with the BBC version. Actually have enjoyed this so far and looking forward to the next one.

We've got that rare occurrence again when I disagree with Cas! :D

I really enjoyed the first two episodes, so unless it goes downhill massively for the next 6 then for me it's a solid 9 at the moment.

(Triffids is a book that definitely could be wonderfully remade, since the success of "A Quiet Place" shows people still enjoy inferred danger)
there's been about 8 film/tv versions already. last thing we need is yet another one.

there's been about 8 film/tv versions already. last thing we need is yet another one.
I am on about a version of the Book.
There might have been 8 productions called War of the Worlds, but none of them were set in the era the book was and / or stayed faithful to the Book.
The 2005 Movie was pretty close to the Book, but set in the modern era
The BBC version - correct Era, but very large changes to the story line.

EDIT: Sorry - I may have mis-read. If you meant Day of the Triffids, I don't think there has been a good, faithful production for that Book either

Last edited:
We've got that rare occurrence again when I disagree with Cas! :D

I really enjoyed the first two episodes, so unless it goes downhill massively for the next 6 then for me it's a solid 9 at the moment.
gets better

There's only one definitive version of War of the Worlds and that Jeff Wayne's musical version and not the one with the Jason Donovan in. At least you can have a sing-a-long.

Chances of anything resembling the book are a million to one, I say.
:rotfl:
But IF they ever do one, we'll be saying
No one would have believed in the last years of the xxx century.....

There's only one definitive version of War of the Worlds and that Jeff Wayne's musical version and not the one with the Jason Donovan in. At least you can have a sing-a-long.
Opened iTunes
Hit play,
Now sitting back with a big smile on my face, foot tapping :)

Why doesn’t anyone ever adapt The Kraken Wakes? It’s a similar story but with ecological overtones and has barely been touched, whereas there’s so many adaptations of WotW it’s getting crazy.

Why doesn’t anyone ever adapt The Kraken Wakes? It’s a similar story but with ecological overtones and has barely been touched, whereas there’s so many adaptations of WotW it’s getting crazy.
Nice call - yes it would make an excellent Eco-disaster Movie.

Thanks Cas.

Can't deny I'm always attracted to War of the Worlds. I never made it through the BBC effort, but I will no doubt have to check this out for a few episodes at least.

Even if never quite faithful to the source material, I can never resist.

Absolutely loved this version when I was a kid. Put it on in the car for my own kids the other day, they loved it too. Some of the sound effects sound a bit dated now, but Richard Burton's narration is just magical and the tunes are great.

As for this show, I couldn't be less interested.

Absolutely loved this version when I was a kid. Put it on in the car for my own kids the other day, they loved it too. Some of the sound effects sound a bit dated now, but Richard Burton's narration is just magical and the tunes are great.
The sound of the cylinder lid unscrewing. Classic.

As for this show, I couldn't be less interested.
It's not too shabby on 5.1 SACD either......and can be picked up relatively cheap.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom