Sky's Ratings A Bit Lost?

ginger113

Established Member
I thought people might be interested in this article, published today on BroadcastNow, the website for the TV & Radio Industry. I've copied and pasted it in its entirety for the purpose of information sharing - I hope that's in keeping with AVF posting rules re copyright.

"Sky suffering without Virgin Media
Jon Rogers and Rob Shepherd
8:00am

BSkyB's basic channels have suffered a combined 24.5% drop in their multichannel audience share since they came off the Virgin Media platform last month.
Sky One, Two and Sky News have all suffered record lows in their weekly all-hours shares since their removal, while Sky One has dropped out of the top five non-terrestrial channels in all hours.

The disappointing performance will focus even more attention on the ongoing carriage dispute with Virgin Media. The cable operator has threatened to take legal action against Sky if it does not respond within 30 days to a letter outlining its grievances.

"This was no idle threat," one source said. "Virgin Media is waiting on a response from Sky which addresses the concerns raised. If the response is not satisfactory, or doesn't come at all, Virgin Media will go ahead with legal proceedings – probably very soon."

The deadline was due to expire as <i>Broadcast</i> went to press and sources close to the cable operator said Virgin Media is ready to carry out the action.

Ironically, given the high profile ad campaign pushing the likes of Lost and 24, Sky One has taken the biggest hit of the basic channels. It registered a year-on-year decline of 38% in March. In the two-week period after it left cable homes, the channel plummeted to its lowest weekly all-hours viewing share since 2001 – just 1% in multichannel homes.

The current series of Lost has suffered a 48% drop in viewers from its best performing launch episode to the worst performing episode on 1 April, where it brought in just 628,000, a share of 4.2%. Another Sky One flagship show The Simpsons has lost around a third of its audience share since March compared with January-February.

Sky One's other major acquisition, 24, saw its viewing figures drop below 400,000 on 18 March, attracting only 1.7%.

Sky One slipped in the channel rankings in March to sixth place behind Sky Sports 1, ITV2, CBeebies, ITV3 and E4. A Sky spokeswoman said: "Sky One is unique in the multichannel universe in offering a breadth of high quality programming and is highly valued by our viewers."

Meanwhile, new primetime show Corkscrewed has been pushed off Sky One and onto Sky Three after it lost over half of its audience from the opening week to average just 53,000 (0.29%) at 9pm. The show was significantly below the channel's slot average for last year in multichannel homes of 295,000 (1.58%).

Sky Sports News has also suffered after being pulled off Virgin's cable platform. It has seen viewing figures drop 21.2% to 0.5% share in March."

Space Aware

Established Member
The fact that Sky have suffered such a drop in viewing figures - Sky One down 25% - will have the advertisers running for cover!

The 30 day response to Virgin Media's request for more talks is now up with not as much as a whisper on the internet of any news....

What I want to know is this...If a deal is struck, and Sky One returns to Virgin Media, will Sky One run 5 weeks worth of the top shows for us to catch up? Lost, 24 ect? I wouldnt have thought so!....

gstewart

Established Member
Um ... is it not fairly obvious that if you take away viewers' ability to watch a channel the viewing figures for programmes on that channel will decline?! What exactly did Sky expect would happen?

Idiots ... :D

I hope VM nail them to the wall.

andythescientis

Established Member
Um ... is it not fairly obvious that if you take away viewers' ability to watch a channel the viewing figures for programmes on that channel will decline?! What exactly did Sky expect would happen?

Idiots ... :D

I hope VM nail them to the wall.

I think their massive ego thought, cable customers would come running over to sky. Clearly this just has not happened. One in the eye for sky i'd say.

At the end of the day, a channel with 3 flagship series clearly isn't the draw sky thought it was. I've sourced lost elsewhere (sisters dvdr) but frankly i've not even bothered to watch it yet!

Harj

Established Member
I had Sky then freeview and now Virgin, for a few days I wondered If I was going to watch Sky One, and would I miss it? The answer is a NO! And I sincerly hope that Virgin go their own way rarther than get Sky One and possible stop any future development of priogrammes and programming on Virgin.

VOD is the best thing that has ever happened.

Timbo21

Prominent Member
When it comes down to it, 24 is on it's way out, and many get frustrated with Lost.

After seeing the first 5 series of 24 on DVD, weekly episodes are rather annoying, and you tend to lose the flow of what's happening, much more it seems than with Lost. It was better when they showed 2 episodes of 24 per week, but unfortunately put it to one when Lost started up again.

I dare say Richard Branson is a rather more popular figure than Murdoch also, so I'm not sure how successful Sky's 'Get More Of The TV You Love' adverts really are.

T.

Shaunio

Established Member
Same thing here really.

I decided to switch from Sky over to Virgin TV at about the same time they were making their decisions.

I heard about the loss of Sky One and I was quite upset about losing it and started "alternative methods" of getting the new episodes so I could still watch them. I got the episodes and just couldn't be bothered to watch them, Lost has, and is, going on for way too long and 24 is pretty good but not missed that much.

Apart from that I really don't miss the seemingly endless repeats of The Simpsons, Futurama and Road Wars and all that stuff that's been covered in the forums before

t11rmh

Established Member
I thought loads of disgruntled VM customers were jumping ship and going to Sky? Or is it just the few that post on here? Seems like most people won't be ripped off and know when a meglomaniac is trying it on....:clap:

G

Gengee

Nothing to do with Meglomania, mostly inertia.

The people who use forums, almost by definition, care about the subjects they post on. So yes you would expect to see on here larger numbers of jumpers and defenders, than, say, in the pub for instance :).

The bulk of the populace will not bother to see whats even available never mind go to the hassle of changing companies.

Later

sapper

Established Member
Nothing to do with Meglomania, mostly inertia.

The people who use forums, almost by definition, care about the subjects they post on. So yes you would expect to see on here larger numbers of jumpers and defenders, than, say, in the pub for instance :).

The bulk of the populace will not bother to see whats even available never mind go to the hassle of changing companies.

Later

And ignorance... IMHO

gavan

Prominent Member
I thought loads of disgruntled VM customers were jumping ship and going to Sky? Or is it just the few that post on here? Seems like most people won't be ripped off and know when a meglomaniac is trying it on....:clap:

I think most people are just not too bothered about such things. For sure, a few people will have switched from cable to sat over the issue but nothing like the flood of people that Sky will have been expecting. Certainly not 150,000 like a Sky fanboy claimed here a short while back.....

At the end of the day though, as a VM subscriber I'm not happy that they've lost channels. They'd better compensate me in some manner as it's one more argument in favour of the competition when my contract is up.

It is good to see that Sky aren't bulletproof though. Hopefully it'll make them think twice about pulling their Freeview channels too.

The latest video from AVForums

🎬 Across the Spider-Verse, Fast X, Covenant, Sisu, Changeling 4K, Lighthouse 4K, Quantumania 4K & TV
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Back
Top Bottom