Sky's Gangs of London Season 1 Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Watched episodes 1&2 last night, agree with your score , keeps you gripped .very violent. Really enjoying it.

I couldn't find it on Virgin Media. Which Sky channel is it on and when?

Sky Atlantic mate! I have Virgin and can't get it either, it's on Now TV but I don't have that.

Watched the first 2 episodes last night. Enjoyed them and looking forward to the rest.

Shame Sky haven’t got their act together with HDR/HLG yet, as this would have looked great. Some of the cinematography is excellent so far and would have looked even better.

I enjoyed it, but that Joe Cole really needs to get his eyes sorted...So annoying, contacts maybe.

Is it in 4K even?
Must add it to my watchlist.

Does it function as it's own thing Cas, and is basically one long movie? OR is it (as I really get annoyed by), one long setup for another season, leaving the storyline far from complete? If the answer constitutes a spoiler of sorts, you can spoiler text me the answer. Just like to know before I embark on another 8 hours or so viewing....

Does it function as it's own thing Cas, and is basically one long movie? OR is it (as I really get annoyed by), one long setup for another season, leaving the storyline far from complete? If the answer constitutes a spoiler of sorts, you can spoiler text me the answer. Just like to know before I embark on another 8 hours or so viewing....

Watch it mate. I’m sure they can do more if they want to, but it’s not merely a setup for another season.

The film-length pilot should hook you right in; this is like getting 6 movies from the guy who did The Raid, and being able to binge them over one weekend.

Sounds great. Just wish I could watch it on something other than NOW TV.

Thanks Cas!

Another one for the list :D

Watch it mate. I’m sure they can do more if they want to, but it’s not merely a setup for another season.

The film-length pilot should hook you right in; this is like getting 6 movies from the guy who did The Raid, and being able to binge them over one weekend.
Thanks for that Cas. Much appreciated. My Dad's a few a episodes in and he's very impressed with it. Will be giving it go now this weekend.

Now my moviegoing wings have been clipped for the foreseeable future, it's projects like this that are replacing my anticipation for the big tentpole releases. Looking forward to getting started with it.

Now my moviegoing wings have been clipped for the foreseeable future, it's projects like this that are replacing my anticipation for the big tentpole releases. Looking forward to getting started with it.
‘Big tentpole releases’ fnarr...

Quite a fan of the raid - will definitely put this on the list. Did see a few adverts for this on sky and must admit didn’t notice that it was Gareth Evans directing - george

Wu Assassins, Warriors, Kingdom and now this home based delight - I'm truly excited.
However, keeping my teens at bay after letting out a Cato type yell to your review of this, may make me the big bad in our household...

Last edited:
Watched the first episode last night and it's very promising although I find the lead a lil weak but guess he will become more the dominent player as the season goes . As others have stated 4K is not enough now and Sky Q should be offering these shows in HDR . I can not even play soundstage through my amp to ramp it up a notch due to continued sound drop outs .

Another great series that Sky Q has dropped the ball on PQ and soundstage .

Last edited:
Utterly awful series. Uninspired and unoriginal from the opening scene. The family home, well, you'll see for yourself the resemblance.

And the lead's overacting, meh.

You're better off watching the films that this tosh ripped off. Gangs of London is a mish mash of a couple of films but, doens't better them.

Well choreographed ultra violence can't save it.

Last edited:
Utterly awful series. Uninspiring and unoriginal from the opening scene, straight from New Jack City. The family home, obviously akin to Vallance Road.

And the lead's overacting, meh.

You're better off watching the films that this tosh ripped off,
'Infernal Affairs' (or the remake, 'The Departed'),
'New Jack City' and 'The Krays'. Gangs of London is a mish mash of them all and does nothing better.

Well choregraphed ultra violence can't save it.

Aside from being something of a sideways spoiler there - which I was at pains to avoid in my review - those comparisons are looking at it the wrong way around.

The Raid may well be a well-choreographed, ultra-violent riff on Die Hard, for example, but by your argument you should just watch Die Hard. But I'd like both for different reasons.

In fact, I'd love well-choreographed, ultra-violent b-movie remakes of all of the films you mentioned, because that's a whole lot better than just getting another no-plot generic action flick. This may well borrow from the best, but it's USP isn't the story, that's just a side-benefit. It's USP is the action, which it does exceptionally well.

If you go like for like - i.e. The Raid, John Wick etc. - then you might find it stands a better comparison, no?

Watch the first two episodes have to say in this time of less and less of good things to watch this had me going looking forward to the rest of the episodes

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom