Skys extra £10pm for SKY+ for non premium channel subscribers

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by pwood, Jun 2, 2005.

1. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    For me the extra £10 pm they want just because I dont subscibe to Movies or Sports channels is really annoying. I like the latest movies ( hence I rent ) and want the best possible sound DTS/DD etc which is still better than SKY+ DD output IMHO.
    Besides given the wealth of good american shows on SKY1/E4 these days I wouldn't find the time for SKY movies. Its a bit off that they want an extra monthly subsciption to watch and record stuff you are already paying to watch.

Also reluctant to fork out too much on SKy+ as I'm likely to go the whole hog with their HD service next year which will require a SKY+HD box. If they charge to much extra subscription the take up will be extremely slow and its not as though they will have a huge potential customer base given loads of folks are buying the affordable SD screens already and I cant see them buying another any time soon.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    SKY are in the business to make money, services they can charge for are the method they use to do this, you may not agree when it affects you directly but there is no denying the business model works:)

SKY+ since it's laumch has had the £10 a month fee to enable the service, those that get the fee waived are being rewarded for being more valuable subscribers than those who are on lower priced packages, a scheme which in other markets is quite common.
    Make more phone calls, use more power get a lower per unit price for example.
    When the marketing department can prove to the accounts department that waiving the fee for lesser packages will make more money or reduce churn/cancellations I expect the deal to be expanded.

If you are interested in HD then perhaps buying SKY+ now would be a waste after all there is a possibility of a "soft" (whatever that may entail) launch this year.
    You will have to pay a hefy price for the STB not to mention a monthly subscription for the HD content whose actual price may reflect the main package you are on so once again SKYworld customers may get HD cheaper than Family pack subscribers.

The market for HD is complex and very fluid atm, SKY I guess are not expecting HD to be a huge success in the short term but I have no doubt there is viable user base already and with every LCD panel sold it continues to grow and we are beginning to see HD CRT's on the market which will also help to stimulate the market. DLP are I believe capable of 720p out of the box and more Plasmas with that minimum res are appearing and the HD Ready spec is making it's mark. Not forgetting that the first gen SKY+ HD's do look as if they will have HD output via component at least in the short term to smooth out issues with people who own HD sets with no HDMI/DVI(HDCP).
    SKY look at things in the long term which is why Analogue survived and made the switch to digital a success not to mention the introduction of SKY+ which inspite of the cost got a foot hold which allowed it to cover it's intital investment and brought about the marketing incentives which have proven popular.

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    When I ordered a second Sky+ box with multi-room at the weekend, I had to wait 5 minutes to speak to a sales person, because they were so busy. When I asked if this extra business had been due to the £49 recon boxes they said, no, it was the £99 new multi-room boxes which were the best sellers. So it appears that your argument bears no relation to the facts.