1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky's announcement and HTPC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by mark88, Dec 3, 2004.

1. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Now that sky have said they will use either HDMI or DVI for HD boxes. How will people who use a HTPC setup intergrate SKY HD into their setups? I assume most people now have setups like this:

HTPC > TV via DVI/VGA
    SKY > TV via Scart

or

HTPC > TV via DVI/VGA
    SKY > HTPC via sweetspot or other

So when the SKY HD boxes roll out how are people gonna hook them up to the their LCD/Plasma screens that only have one DVI or HDMI socket?

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    They'll need a DVI switch box and lose the ability to process the signal.

There's no chance of there being a PC-based way of processing the signals since that would defeat the object of this User Restrictions Management system.

3. andyatkins

andyatkins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    KraGorn

I have a Panny 42-PHD6 Plasma & am now concerned that I won't be able to get Sky HD into the VGA port (the DVI port doen;t support 50Hz) as I now understand that HCDP complaince prohibits output of HPCD encoded products over VGA.

Would the use of a DVI switchbox be a potnetial way around this in your opinion? IE Could I split the signal, connect to one to an HDCP compliant display & send the other through a video processor or HCPC to output to VGA?

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'm no expert in this, beyond what I've read, but as I see it there are two issues here:

1) Analog output of hi-def material is allowed but it has to be down-scaled to 480p (and I assume 576p for PAL), so the Sky STB should allow that. The license to make an HDCP/HDMI receiver enforces this restriction. IIRC the MPAA have already taken action against 2 second-tier chip manufacturers that have not enforced this.

2) At present there is no way to feed an HDCP-crippled signal into a PC and I don't expect to see one any time soon, since that would open an 'analog hole' which the MPAA are paranoid about. Indeed, I know of no way to feed a 'clean' DVI signal into a PC, but maye there is.

5. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree that there's no way to capture an HDCP crippled digital HD video stream into a PC (not that I know of anyway), but are you also saying that you know for a fact that there won't be either any HD compatible DVB-S/DVB-C cards for PC that we can buy in Europe, like these in the US:

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/hdtv-cards.html

to connect the RF feed to (from SkyHD or whatever else HDTV source) and get HDTV on a PC?

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sorry, I wasn't clear .. yes, as you've shown, one can get HDTV receivers that output analog at HD resolutions, but only when the content isn't protected by the provider.

So any 'free to air' broadcasts will be fine, but the moment a channel starts to broadcast copyrighted material like movies, sport etc. protected by HDCP those analog outputs will be shut down, maybe not today but that's what at least one US cable company has announced will happen next June.

All Sky have done is to pre-announce that analog HD will not be allowed, whether their recievers will output 576p analog I've no idea.