skys 1tb box connectivity

arcticwolve

Novice Member
Hi been reading alot about the sky 1tb box and thinking about getting one but i noticed theres only 1 scart connector on the back.
The hd box i have at the moment has 2, one that goes from tv to sky hd box then 1 from sky hd box to vhs recorder yes i still got one of them lol.
my question is when theres no scart connector connected from the tv to sky box i cannont record a signal, i have to have tv to sky hd box to vhs recorder , so how would i get round this if i get 1 as i understand u cant record through hdmi ?
Any help on this would be very greatfull before i decide on getting one thankyou

magoo1

Novice Member
There's no point in having a HD box of any kind unless you have a HD ready TV. If your TV IS HD ready then it should be connected to the HD box by a HDMI lead which carries the high definition picture and sound to the display digitally. The scart lead which only carries a standard definition analogue signal from box to TV is redundant. The scart connector on the HD box is for a video or a DVD recorder.

hope that helps!:smashin:

Stevenage Neil

Don't understand your question.
The Sky Scart to VCR Scart will record the Sky output. The VCR should have another Scart to go to the TV Scart for playback.
What does "my question is when theres no scart connector connected from the tv to sky box i cannot record a signal" mean?

jezzerr

Novice Member
There's no point in having a HD box of any kind unless you have a HD ready TV. If your TV IS HD ready then it should be connected to the HD box by a HDMI lead which carries the high definition picture and sound to the display digitally. The scart lead which only carries a standard definition analogue signal from box to TV is redundant. The scart connector on the HD box is for a video or a DVD recorder.

hope that helps!:smashin:

You have lost me why cant you have a HD box hooked up to a non HD tv,This is what i have done upstairs its connected to a very old tosh 17inch.

Or have i missunderstood what you are saying?

arcticwolve

Novice Member
i have a scart lead that goes from the tv to the sky hd box then another 1 from the hd box to the vhs recorder.
if i remove the 1 from the tv to sky hd box , then the vhs recorder will not record a signal,

thats how i have it set up should i have it set up differently ?

And yes my tv is hd

Stevenage Neil

You should have:-

Sky box to TV via HDMI
Sky box to VCR via Scart.
VCR to TV via Scart.

magoo1

Novice Member
i have a scart lead that goes from the tv to the sky hd box then another 1 from the hd box to the vhs recorder.
if i remove the 1 from the tv to sky hd box , then the vhs recorder will not record a signal,

thats how i have it set up should i have it set up differently ?

And yes my tv is hd

Sky box to TV by HDMI
Sky box to Video by scart
Video to TV by scart

magoo1

Novice Member
You have lost me why cant you have a HD box hooked up to a non HD tv,This is what i have done upstairs its connected to a very old tosh 17inch.

Or have i missunderstood what you are saying?

You can - but why bother? You don't get the benefit of the High Definition picture any other way apart from via HDMI

jezzerr

Novice Member
Why Bother simple they have more space,That is why i first got a HD box downstairs so the mrs had plenty more room to record her rubbish,I do have a HD ready tv but i dont subscribe to the HD channels.

I will say come xmas day the upstairs one will be hooked up to a HD ready tv.

arcticwolve

Novice Member
Sky box to TV via HDMI
Sky box to VCR via Scart.
VCR to TV via Scart.

ahh il give that a go think i got it back to front thanks all

logiciel

if i remove the 1 from the tv to sky hd box , then the vhs recorder will not record a signal
Why not?:confused:

Last edited:

anfukf

Novice Member
If you don't have scart control turned on you do not get rgb output from it and therefore a worse picture to your recorder.

Why not?:confused:

The clue to what it's for is that last word - it's to give remote control if you use the cabled extension and "magic eye" system.

Scart control has nothing to do with remote control, magic eyes and RF extension cables. It has always been to turn on scart switching on pin 8 IIRC on the scart cable which enables most TVs to autoswitch to the Sky input when Sky is switched on. On some boxes it may also switch the output from RGB to composite video.

magoo1

Novice Member
Scart control has nothing to do with remote control, magic eyes and RF extension cables. It has always been to turn on scart switching on pin 8 IIRC on the scart cable which enables most TVs to autoswitch to the Sky input when Sky is switched on. On some boxes it may also switch the output from RGB to composite video.

I can't check at the moment as Mrs magoo is watching some rubbish or other but I think the scart output (comp/RGB) is a separate option to the switching - which, as you say, is the live pin 8 to autoswitch the display to the correct input

logi has just got his rf and his scart control muxed ip :laugh:

logiciel

Now de-muxed. :blush:

arcticwolve

Novice Member
all interesting stuff just wonderd really as u cant record a signal through hdmi i read so u still need a scart connection to record stuff ?
thanx guys for your info
just 1 thing what happens when scart connections are completley phased out as thats how it seems to be going how will we record stuff to dvd or vhs ?

Last edited:

Broadz

just 1 thing what happens when scart connections are completley phased out as thats how it seems to be going how will we record stuff to dvd or vhs ?

Why would scart be completely phased out whilst external recorders require scart to be connected? Either scart won't be phased out - or these external recorders will come up with an alternative means of connection, which digiboxes (not just Sky boxes) will implement to maintain connectivity.

PC manufacturers only dropped serial (and then parallel) connections when printer and other peripheral manufacturers started utilising alternative methods (USB) as a means of connecting the two pieces of kit together. If all printers still used parallel connections, no PC manufacturer would dare market a computer without a parallel output on it, because they know that nobody would buy their PC if it couldn't print to a printer.

logiciel

Who's still recording to VHS? :confused::)

Stevenage Neil

why not just put a bigger hard drive in your existing sky box?

Because nobody in their right mind would archive "precious/irreplaceable" stuff to a constantly in use hard drive.

Uridium

Distinguished Member
Because nobody in their right mind would archive "precious/irreplaceable" stuff to a constantly in use hard drive.

The OP stated he wanted to replace his current SkyHD box which has the scart connectors he needs with one with larger capacity but that does not have the connectivity he requires...

I didn't mention changing his archiving method...I suggested upgrading the storage of his current recording device to get around the issue of the higher capacity recording device not having the connectivity he required.

As for archive storage if it was "irreplaceable/precious stuff" I would still use either Optical discs or HDD over VCR due to ease of duplication and quality.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Amazon Music fully available on Android TV and Google TV platforms
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony announces A90J UK/EU price and March availability
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th February 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M3x Vinyl phono stage