1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky's 1st Hi-def product rolls out tomorrow. (what can we expect)

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by chaddy, Aug 12, 2005.

1. chaddy

chaddy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Seeing as the Premiership starts tomorrow with MAN UTD vs EVERTON on prem plus & the promise of all prem matches to be shot in hi def, what can we expect to see on our screens.
    Are we going to get a better picture then normal seeing as its shot in H/D or are they shooting in S/D as well.
    If i remember the Champions league final was shot in H/D and the picture on Sky Sports was amazing, colours where more vibrant & sharpness was better.
    After buying a PV500 i'm hoping that until i get Sky hi-def that the picture will look much better then normal.
    So the peeps who are in the know, WHAT CAN WE EXPECT !

2. mallet

mallet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I watched the Community Shield last Sunday, and it seemed to look nicer than the last prem match I watched on SS1. It's been a few months since I watched football on SS1, so maybe it's my mnd playing tricks..

3. hertderg

hertderg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree m8 - PQ did look a lot better for that match than normal.

4. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    If they are shooting in HD and downconverting to SD you may notice cleaner pictures, with less obvious aperture correction (i.e. edge enhancement), and possibly that the picture seems less "noisy".

The current series of Proms on BBC Two and Four are shot in HD if you want to see a different kind of programme material originated in HD and downconverted.

5. Dave911

Dave911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I know its a naff program :eek: - but the wife watches it - to see the real difference with HD shot stuff downconverted watch Home and Away Ch5 weekdays 6pm, the quality is stunning. I know Enterprise is an HD downcovert and that is good - but to honest H&A blows it away.
    To get the best watch it on sky.

Just my ten penneth worth :thumbsup:

6. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Yep - though Home and Away is only shot HD. Last time I checked it was still edited in a hybrid SD manner.

Basically it is shot 1080/25p, but the recordings are downconverted to 576/25p - carried as segmented frame within a 576/50i SD signal before or during editing.

It is edited in the 576/50i domain (using standard definition suites) - though care is taken not to filter vertically (as might be the case with an interlaced signal fed through some video effects gear).

It is then broadcast in Aus at 576/50p (which the Aussie regulators call HD, but everyone else regards as SD+ or ED, and not full HD) by frame doubling the 576/25p.

The 576/25p is converted to 576/50i for other broadcasters like Five. (I think there is a vertical filter in this conversion - though I may be wrong, and they may leave it as segmented frame)

Bottom line is - the show is shot in HD, but no-one gets to see it in full HD - the Aussies get a bit more vertical resolution than us, but not much.

The key thing to remember is that Home and Away used to be shot 576/50i, and is now shot 1080/25p. This means it went from fluid motion (and a "video" look), to more filmic motion (because it is now only capturing 25, not 50, pictures a second) - but that is nothing to do with the change to HD - they co-incided.

7. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Watched PremPlus match today (Sat Man Utd Vs Everton) and it didn't look as good as some of the stuff I saw last week (Charity Shield and Leeds games).

H

8. kingsize

kingsize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    yeah, the charity shield looked superb - thought this match was not as good - maybe cos it was pp

9. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Traditionally Prem+ has always had the superior picture compared to footy on the standard channels. I have to say that both games today looked great on my LCD without any offboard processing unlike last weeks Community Shield which I ran through the scaler.

10. mdanforth

mdanforth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The Charity Shield was shot in HD, I was there sat next to a sky camera man.
    Had the HD logo all over it.

11. chaddy

chaddy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    i noticed that it was very much clearer, ther was a bit when o'shea went to take a throw in near the corner flag & when it went up close you could see actual faces in the stand behind the goals.
    It was better then last season i think.

12. simonr

simonr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wigan v Chelsea its defininately a HiDef downconvert (Sky Sports 1) There is a considerable inprovment in picture detail

13. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yes it looks better than the earlier match (Arsenal) on my CRT.... The Arsenal pitch was very "muddy" (blurred).

H

14. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Great example of how the TV makes all the difference.

The Arsenal match looked excellent on my CRT (28" 4:3) while the LCD is just having a little trouble with the grass on fast pans during the Wigan game but using the scaler to provide a 1280*720p signal cleans that up which indicates the scaling in the philips could be a lot better.

Mind you after watching the H.264 demo (a little jerky) of the footy training nothing SKY offers atm looks as good:)

15. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    I thought so to. Certainly seemed to be much less artefacting, and a general "sharpness" to the picture.

But I always put the (poor) quality of Sky sports transmissions down to the live compression of the digital transmission - not the source material. So not sure why there is a difference...

(FYI, watching on 36" CRT)

16. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    The cleaner the pictures are to begin with - the better they compress.

17. broadcastpro

broadcastpro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All live Sky Sports and Prem + Football matches are being recorded in HD and down converted for transmission as of last week. However the Football Firsts and C L are still in SD.

The reason that some of you have commented on the quality difference between the Community Shield game and that of Everton v Man Utd, is that the HD pictures where converted between HD and SD four times. This is because the studio was at Sky and the pictures where converted several times in and out of the studio before transmission. If a match has the studio on site then the pictures are only down converted once before transmission.

It will be intresting to see what the pictures actually look like when transmitted in HD over the Sky platform. I have seen Euro1080, the HD television channel broadcast for the past year and the pictures look fantastic until something moves then the compression system falls down! That will look great with a little white ball on green grass....

18. Toekiller

Toekiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats my main concern but surely they can't broadcast premium content that isn't top notch?

19. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    If there are any concerns then the sensible thing to do is not to buy at launch, the forums will be full of reviews/opinions of the system from early adoptors and hopefully it'll be appearing in retail outlets for you to see in the flesh as it were:)

SKY movies and sports and SBO/PPV are a notch above the normal channels but even those are not really upto the standards required by the influx of flat panel and large screen displays on the market now.

20. Roohster

Roohster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,036
    You should have seen it on MUTV a couple of days later.. what an awful picture!
    Still more than satisfied with the result though :D

21. xxalxx

xxalxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    denmark v england lookd quite good last night :)

Al

22. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, denmark did anyway... :p

23. xxalxx

xxalxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    true :rotfl:

24. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Anyone here signed up for http://hd.sky.com (I did way back in July) and heard anything further?

I had expected a welcome email to say "we'll call you - don't call us" but absolutely nuffink! Zilch.

H :hiya:

25. chaddy

chaddy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    same here, heard nothing.

26. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That was probably nothing to do with sky as it was in Denmark, wouldn't be surprised if it was a streched 4:3 image :eek: