Sky's £99 insurance policies

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by finnis, Aug 11, 2004.

1. finnis

finnis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Got a call today from Sky offering me an extended warranty on my Sky+ and Sky boxes. £99 per year! As I told the bloke, that's a pretty high premium to vlaue ratio and I also think it's bit rich charging that amount to ensure I can continue to recive programmes I pay £600 per year for.

Needless to say I declined! :)

2. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £99 might just about pay for a replacement Hard Drive in your SKY+ when it fails in 2 months time.

3. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I took the policy when offered and it's just saved me a shed load of cash after my v1 Sky+ box failed - two engineer visits later and a new v2 box and I'm happy with no additional cost to me.

I have to admit I don't normally take these sort of thing out but I'm glad I did this time.

John

4. finnis

finnis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, I may well live to regret it, but I take the view that the gear will fail early on or much later. Pays your money, you takes your choice I guess.

5. davej

davej
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was offered this just three months after I got the sky+. Now I'll be happy to take out a policy when the 12 month's guarantee is up but with nine months remaining? As far as I could tell it didn't offer much over what I'd expect the guarantee to cover, just looking after the dish as well as the box. Or did I misunderstand?

6. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I took out the offer when my sky+ box was out of warantee. Good new is that it covers both my sky+ boxes for the £90 odd per year.

With sky+ being not exactly the most reliable of beasts and a £65 call out fee I think it makes sense.

7. finnis

finnis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Did I read on here somewhere that someone phoned Sky and said they wanted to cancel their sub, and when Sky asked why they said it was because their kit had failed and they refused to spend the money to have it fixed. Faced with losing £40 per month of revenue indefinitely, Sky sent an engineer to fix it FOC. Or did I imagine it?!

Also, I wonder how this sits with the EU regulations regarding this sort of thing. Isn't there some sort of six-year rule? Just a thought...

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    SKY may or may not choose to reduce/remove the fee for a call out when a subscriber uses the cost as the reason for cancellation. It's a gamble to take that approach but then extended warranties are also a gamble:)

SKY are doing nothing illegal either by UK law or EU regulation/directives, it's standard practice for all consumer goods to have the standard 12 month warranty (sometimes longer but only on a voluntary basis) but the very weak 6 year guideline for products being fit for purpose relies on the retailer and manufacturere agreeing there is/was a problem with the original product. They won't of course and that means the consumer using their own money to launch a legal case with independent reports on the product and it's problems and if the problem was a design flaw or just appeared through negligent use/wear.

9. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I've seen quite a few reports of people conning Sky into giving them a free replacement. These are probably the people who lock it up in a tiny "Hi Fi" cabinet and let it cook for 12 months. This is why subscriptions keep going up every year.

I think the government should legislate like they are doing with car insurance dodgers. Any SKY+ not insured should go to the crusher! ;)

10. finnis

finnis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The crusher? No way. I love my Sky+ box. It's the best piece of kit I've ever bought by miles. I treat it with respect and so far it's been very good to me. Just don't love it enough to insure it for £99 a year!

I think there are a good few reasons why subs go up every year. The main one being the need to provide shareholder dividends. No complaints from me, though - reckon I watch enough TV to get my money's worth from my sub.

11. thepalaceplace

thepalaceplace
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, my father-in-law is 84 years old and was conned into buying more sky insurance by someone who said they were from Sky. He has had £21.00 taken out of his bank account and when we called sky to tell them that he had already got cover until Jan. next year, they told him that the new cover was not with them. It seems from his bank statement that he took this 'insurance' out on the 27th Sept.. but he has had no paperwork from any company to confirm what it is that he has bought?
    Q.1. Does anyone have the name and contact details of this company?
    Q.2. Will they continue to take more payments of £21.00 from his bank account. It seems other people are paying £80 or even £99!
    Q.3. The payments are going to 'Product Support AG'.. according to his bank statement.....
    .....anyone got any more information.
    Many, many thanks, Jacki.

12. mentsugi

mentsugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi thepalaceplace, I had a call from these Sky insurance cover people and from what I remember they gave the impression they were calling from Sky but a few things in what they were telling me did not ring true so I told them no thanks. At that point they got quite shirty and tried the scare tactics that a callout would cost £xx from Sky etc and when I still refused they then put the phone down on me. Now I am sure that cant be Sky as I know their customer service is wanting but I am also sure they wouldnt have acted like that on the phone also.

Anyway, found this link for a similar Sky insurance problem. Hope it helps?

Sky insurance nightmare for Mum, engineer no show from System Guard

13. Stevenage Neil

Stevenage Neil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    Doesn't the Sky £65 "call out" fee include replacement, (may be refurbished), of any failed parts?

Neil

14. GMT

GMT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    the £65 is for everything. parts labour etc...

if anyone phones you asking you to take out on of these insurance things then its probably not sky.
    if you ask who they are and they say sky, its NOT...

they should say Domestic and General insurance and they should call it the Sky repair protection plan.

15. Stevenage Neil

Stevenage Neil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    Which makes you wonder how they get the phone numbers, (and details of equipment), from Sky...........:confused:

16. Toasty

Toasty
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,236
    Wow, is £99 the standard price per year now?! That really isn't good value for money, how many £65 call outs do you expect to make over the next 5 years? Let's be pessimistic and say 6:

6 * 65 = £390

or

5 * 99 = £495

Bargain!

Now I'm sure if you have several boxes it sounds a better deal, but if you have consistent problems you have cause for complaint, products should and do last years not months!

17. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,442

I completely agree with this.
    I can count the number of times I've had to call SKY out on one hand.
    In fact, I think it's only been one out-of-warranty callout in the past 5 years.
    I've had to get new HD boxes, but they were always within warranty.
    So that's 1 x out-of-warranty callout @ £65.00
    In that £65.00 callout, I got a whole new dish/LNB assembly, which will probably do me for years to come.

As opposed to 5 x £99.00 if I'd fallen for their sales patter?
    No contest, tell them you'll take your chances.:smashin:

18. Stoofa

Stoofa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Like many others I've been offered the warranty from the "Lets try and sound like we are actually Sky calling and then it sounds all very official" people and declined.

At the time I was a Sky+ customer.
    Now £99 could get me a second hand box from EBay - so why definitely pay £99 when I could just spend that amount if I desperately needed a new box?
    Also, should my box fail under warranty I'd just cal up Sky and say I'm going to have to cancel now as my box has failed so there is no point paying for channels I can no longer see - end result would be a call out and a refurb box for less than the £99.

I'm going to HD in a few days time.
    I'll of course have a 12 month warranty on that box.
    Now I'll have to look at the price of second hand HD boxes in a years time - but even if they are still expensive you still have the option of calling Sky and explaining you'll need to cancel due to a lack of box.

It's the difference between definitely having to pay £99 (insurance policy) or maybe having to pay £99 (if box fails and you need to buy a second hand one).