1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky's £1 Installed DigiBoxes

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Saturn82, May 3, 2002.

1. Saturn82

Saturn82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just subscibed to Sky Digital. And the thing is I live overseas (In Scandnavia) and I found guy that was kind enough to get me a subscribtion to Sky.
    I chose the 1£ offer...
    So I just wanted to know.

1. I get to keep the Receiver & Dish, right?

2. Do they only offer one type of Receivers. If yes, what kind of brand will I get?

3. And what's the best receiver on the market right now? Sony? PanaSonic?

...Hope you can help :)

2. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Saturn,

Welcome to the forums!

Yes you get to keep the dish and box (as long as you subscibe for twelve months).

There are several different makes of digibox, each with different features (some have optical out, some have rgb passthrough etc). As to which is best, I think it is personal preference, although Panasonic and Sony are probably the most popular. You do not usually know in advance which one you are going to get, although you can try asking your installer if he is able to offer you a choice.

Digiboxes have been discussed a lot on this forum, if you do a search you will find more details.

The above is accurate to the best of my knowledge, but I could be wrong! ;) :D

Lex.

3. Saturn82

Saturn82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks mate.

Since I don't live in the UK. Will I be able to use the receiver along with my viewing card (Sky World) without having to connect it to a phone line???

4. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have had Sky digital for two years and have never had it connected to the phone line! You will only need a phone connection to order pay per view programs.

cheers,

Lex.

5. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Yes you will, but if you want pay per view stuff like movies you'll need to connect to phone line for that each time, otherwise not.
    I found that I needed to keep the black phone wire in the box itself or the LED connect would keep periodicly flashing which I found distracting!
    Also, you may not be aware, but it is possible to get rid of the red onscreen button by pressing the red button on the remote and then very quickly press the backup button and this will remove it - another annoyance gone!

6. Saturn82

Saturn82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phew, Thanks again mate, you just made my day. I'm waiting for my Sky Digital package to arrive from the UK. And after reading a topic here on the forum. I thought you had to have it connected in order for sky to update the viewing card.