Sky's £1 Installed DigiBoxes

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Mark Ward, Apr 26, 2002.

1. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Finally going to go for this.

I rang up Sky today and the guy told me the boxes have Dolby 5.1 out. When I asked whether it was Digital Co-Ax or Optical out he checked and said. "There's a pair of phono scokets and a co-axial socket".

Am I right in assuming that all Sky Digibox only have 2Ch Dolby? I'm Still going to go for it, but I want to run the right cable to the Reciever. If it's 5.1 I'll sit the digibox in the HT rack, if it's 2.0 it'll go under the TV.

I've heard there's very little between the boxes on performance, but what about user interface? Are they all exactly the same?

Any tips on how to get a choice of Digibox? :D

Cheers,

Mark.

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Mark Ward,
    I haven't seen a Sky digibox with a co-axial digital output. So far as I know only the Sony digibox has an optical digital output, this only works for non 5.1.
    To obtain 5.1 you will need a Skyplus+.
    To the best of my knowledge, Sky are mostly using the £1 installation offer to clear a mountain of re-packed and refurbished digiboxes, mostly Amstrad, Grundig and Pace.
    If you can choose any particular box from Sky you will be very lucky, usually you have "whatever is on the van".
    Maybe I'm not up to date.

3. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    no two ways about it - choose PANASONIC !!!!!

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Standard SKY D boxes have two phonos which will carry stereo and Dolby Surround (Prologic), only SKY+ (Optical Output) at this time will allow access to a DD 5.1 soundtrack on some SKY movies.
    I wonder if the CS rep thought the RF co-axial connections were what you were asking about:)

The £1 offer is for brand new boxes not reconditioned.
    If you are being given a reconditioned box it makes it very clear in the offer which so far has only appeared in the national press and in SKY authorised high street vendors and costs £10.

Best way to get the digibox of your choice is to get your SKY installation from an authorised independent installer who will allow you to pick the make/model you want from his selection, it will cost you more than £1 though.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the £1 installation on Saturday.

They installed a NEW Amstrad box - didn't get any choice. It's only in the kitchen so wasn't too bothered either way but seems to be good quality and nice asthetics.

I do notice that the response to inputs from the control is instant - unlike ITV Dig's 10 second delay:)

Cheers
    OG

6. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Sky, just like NTL, and all mobile phone operators, are having to prove an ARPU increase to investors. (average revenue per user - ie. £s per sub per month).

SKy have said to city analysts that they can increase theirs. One method of doing this is a promotion, installation for a £1, saving on average £79. But...

The catch is you have to subscribe to the full package, family world I think, for at least 1 month. this will cost you about £37, instead of £16 for the most basic package.

Their hope, is that people will forget to downgrade their subscription after the month, or will enjoy the full package so much, they decide to keep it. Therefore pushing up their ARPU.

it worked for me, it has taken me 3 months to get around to downgrading my package.

Although, some city analysts have seen this trick, and are warning that all sky is doing is giving away cheaper installs.

I have a sony box, which is great. It offers optical digital out, which I feed to my AV amp for a good sound. However, it is just prologic, as Sky are not yet transmitting DD to people without sky+. The boxes are apparently capable of handling DD though.

The boxes on the £1 deal are not refurbished. If you think you are getting a refurbished box, complain like hell
    :mad:

7. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dixons are also offering Sky installations for 1 penny, usually 'there and then' type deals on Saturdays. This is also based on you taking a fuller package of channels than you might have done otherwise but it still makes significant savings and lets you see the World of Sky(tm) at it's best :)

Funnily enough, Sky DO give out reconditioned boxes as if they were new. The good news is that this is totally random and not based on how much (or little) you pay for the install.

Apparently ALL Sky digiboxes have an output suitable for 5.1 connection to off board amps... the Sony boxes just have their port more conveniently located/accessible.

8. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Sky supply repacks and Skyplus+ repacks, they also supply replacement repacks to customers with faulty digiboxes and Skyplus+.
    The £1 deal or 1p deal doesn't state the supplied equipment will often be a repack, it also doesn't state it will be brand new.
    You don't have to accept it if it isn't new, but Sky is supplying equipment that works and many customers won't know or care, as long as it does. Sky has to do something with all the swap out boxes.
    Anyone who has paid a £1 and received a brand new box should be delighted.
    Independent Sky installers may supply repacks too.
    If you aren't happy, don't accept it and insist on a new one.