SkyQ to 4K TV and 4K Projector without swapping cables

ACAV

Novice Member
Reaction score
New member, first post. Sorry if I’m asking what is probably an obvious question.
I have SkyQ which I connect to either my UHD Hisense TV or my Viewsonic UHD projector by swapping the HDMI leads at the back of the SkyQ box which is a faff. I would like to have some sort of HDMI switch to leave the HDMI’s connected and switch the output to the display in use. I’m not interested in using both at the same time.
Each display is connected by fairly long (6m & 7.5m) HDMI “certified’ copper cables and they both work just fine in 4K 50hz 10 bit. Sound goes to my amp by optical direct from the SkyQ box.
It would be useful (but not essential) to be able to introduce another HDMI source (Amazon TV/Roku) in the future but that leaves issue of how do I split the audio out to the optical input for my amp from Amazon TV or another device?
My budget as you can see from my equipment choice is modest but I am prepared to pay up get it right first time!
Thanks for any sage advice you may have.

Swapping around HDMI cables is never a great idea as you can end up with damaged cables or worse a damaged HDMI socket on a device.

With a single Source device you use an HDMI Distribution Amp (splitter) to share the Source to multiple Sink (Display) devices rather than using a device which ‘switches’ between the two Sink (Display) devices.

The capabilities of the ‘splitter’ will vary with how similar or different the capabilities of your Sink devices are - for example are they both 4K UHD or is one 4K UHD and the other HD.

Most ‘splitters’ will offer an additional audio output - 2RCA (Stereo), Optical (5.1) or HDMI (Full HD/Immersive audio).

Some splitters are low cost ‘plug and play’ (which is ideal if everything works as required) others recognise that Firmware has to constantly be updated and customised to keep up with changes your hardware manufacturer may introduce and offers the user a lot of control over signal and capabilities management.

If you introduce additional Source devices you require a Matrix (multiple Inputs to multiple Outputs) the Matrix will allow the same Source to all Sink devices or different Sources to different Sink devices allowing you to view/listen to more than one source simultaneously, that then introduces a degree of ‘signal selection’ into the spec sheet.

Joe

Thank you Joe, really helpful. I will look at splitters with Optical out as I only have 5.1 sound anyway and the Matrix option.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom