SkyPlus looks very interesting but..........

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Jim Robson, Jul 3, 2001.

1. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Originally from the wonderful Granite City, Aberde
    Ratings:
    +1
    SkyPlus looks very interesting but what if one doesn't need/want the recording facility? I'd rather have a (free?) box with all the bells and whistles (regarding sound) below but without a record capability. Do you folk in the know, think this will be a future possibility? I'd love the capability of being able to decode Dolby Digital 5.1, the Optical Digital Audio output (why not a coax too?) and the S-Video output etc but don't require recording! (I have the most pristine and virtually unused, 9-year old, £1,100 Mitsubishi B-82, S-VHS VCR in existence!)

Am I alone in hoping for a super sound specified box which is not a recorder?

Technical specification:-
    Integrated 40 GB hard disk drive/V90 Modem :(
    Twin digital tuners utilising two feeds from a quad LNB on existing minidish :(
    Two RF outputs (one supporting tvLINK) :)
    TV & VCR SCART outputs/S-Video output :)
    Optical Digital audio output :)
    Left/Right analogue audio outputs/New Sky+ remote control :)

Regards

Jim :D

2. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Jim, I think you've missed the point about this new technology. Sky+ is designed to take digital TV to the next stage.
    You have to stop thinking "VCR" and start thinking "Time Shifting", which is what Sky+ will do almost invisibly. It's an extension to the EPG and in use will make things like VideoPlus (or any other form of VCR programming) look archaic.
    Also the benefit of being able to freeze live TV (how many times have you been interrupted by the phone when watching something) and the ability to record and watch different channels at the same time cannot be underestimated.
    The Dolby Digital support is great, but its one of (in my opinion) the least significant things about Sky+, since Sky and the BBC currently have no plans for Dolby Digital.

3. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Originally from the wonderful Granite City, Aberde
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oh well, I suppose I'll just have to be dragged into the 21st century at some time. I'm sure I'll love it when I buy it!!

Why bother to have Dolby Digital 5.1 compatibility if Sky and the BBC currently have no plans for Dolby Digital? It must be just around the corner?

"Dolby Digital Compatibility - SkyPlus is compatible with Dolby Digital 5.1 [viewers should connect SkyPlus to a multichannel amplifier with Dolby digital decoding via the Optical Digital Output]."

Regards

Jim :D

1. The ability to record one satellite programme while watching another
    2. Being able to automatically record your favourite programmes
    3. Single-button recording
    4. Series Link: which links episodes from a series for automatic recording
    5. Pausing live TV: freezing and recording on-screen action for remaining duration of the programme
    Recording without videotape
    6. Original digital broadcast signal recording
    7. an average of 20 hours worth of recording space available [which varies depending on the programmes recorded]
    8. Dolby Digital 5.1 compatibility
    9. Easy navigation: full integration with Sky Guide including the recently introduced Personal Planner
    10. Easy set-up: new channels are added automatically
    11. Accommodates time changes in programming schedules

[ 05-07-2001: Message edited by: Jim Robson ]

4. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Maybe Sky do have plans to use Dolby Digital on their movie channels in the future - but don't hold your breath, because this would a major turn-around from their current position of "No Plans for Dolby Digital, ProLogic is good enough".
    Maybe the takeup of DVD and the fact that several TV's now have DD decoding onboard have prompted a rethink?

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was told by a Sky rep today that they hope to launch DD5.1 broadcasts by christmas on some channels, movies being the most obvious choice.

Regarding the SkyPlus digital recorder, unfortunately although it has two digital tuners it will not at time of launch be able to record two digital channels at once (except for pausing the channel you are watching whilst recording another). Sky say they will upgrade the features of the box in the near future to enable 2 channels to be recorded at once.

They don't offer the facility to upgrade the HDD capacity although if software allows and it is just a standard interface I would image one could upgrade 'unofficially'. There is also no facility to add more digital decoders.

These features won't be important to most users but they are to me. I just wish the designers would think ahead a little more and cater for those who want a bit more from digital TV. SkyPlus is certainly a step in the right direction, just not a big enough step!