1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SkyPlus is almost here!

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by StephenR, Jun 24, 2001.

1. StephenR

StephenR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it's true - the much anticipated SkyPlus PVR should be available by the end of the summer. To get an information pack call 08705 800 800.

For those who don't know, SkyPlus is a digital satellite receiver with built-in hard disk and dual tuners. It works like a TiVo but records the digital signal directly, so you get no loss in quality. You can also watch one digital channel whilst recording another.

2. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The end of the summer you say? That will be this Wednesday then! :)

3. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    I read that like the Tivo it also includes a £10 monthly subscription, besides the initial purchase cost (£300?).

So they want me to pay Sky £30 a month sub to receive, and then they want another £10 to automate the recording.

Are they saying you already have a 'Personal programme planner' as part of Sky subscription, but surprise, surprise you are going to need another, different one to use Sky Plus?

Things are repeated so often on Sky, like even the same day, and they have a multitude of 1 hour plus channels to, why on earth does anyone need to record anything!

Everytime there is something on I am going to miss, I inveriably now don't even bother to record it as I know I can catch it next time around soon after.

I like the Sky+ concept, but not at what appears to be a significant price premium over a VCR - even given the potential quality improvement, and features such as pausing live tv which are a unique benefit (but not that much)

4. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think, like a lot of these things, it depends on WHY you look at that screen in your living room.

I got quite excited at first about this product but as time goes by it seems less and less attractive. If it is £10 a month then you have got to be a serious telly addict to want it.

If there is some "manual" method of kicking it in then £300 isn't bad to have two tuners and to be able to record one side while watching another, but £10 a month for the planner is a bummer!

5. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    When I phoned Sky to order the Sky + information pack I was told that pricing hadn't been finalised.
    Tivo's charge of £10 per month is to cover the cost of prepairing the downloadable TV guide.
    Sky already use an electronic program guide (EPG) for their digital service, and I think it highly likley that this EPG will be enhanced for the Sky + system with backwards compatibility for the old digibox.
    If Sky do charge extra for the EPG then they risk limiting the take up of Sky +. (How many people do you know have Tivo?)
    I hope sky charge a sensible price for the unit (£300 ish) and leave the subscription fee alone.
    I want to be first in line for this new digibox but I wont pay £10 a month extra subscription for an EPG.

6. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    Sky mag doesnt say anything about cost.
    However, I did notice it says "you access all of its functionsusing the Sky+ remote control and your already familiar on-screen Sky Guide"
    Which kinda implies there is NOT a separate programmer - but that doesnt mean they havent got a way to make you pay to use it with Sky+.
    I really hope not as I would be very interested in one of these, and a sub would turn me right off

7. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,873
    Like most people here, I'd buy the unit but they can kiss my arse if they think I'm gonna pay a subscription to use it.

And we're meant to be the people who love these gadgets and if we don't want to pay a subscription, how many of the Joe Bloggs families are going to pay for it?
    Not too many I'd have thought.

8. mjwhitehouse

mjwhitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will probably get it because I am a sad muppet and the thought of even a remote chance that they may kiss my arse is too good to miss. Of course this one will have to stop FREEZING every time I change the channel late at night. Why is this? It doesn't happen to my wife or kids just Mark "The Channel Surfer" Whitehouse. I can't understand it.

9. nickeng

nickeng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to see the cost of the box (£300 or what ever) split over a new 1 or 2 year contract... a one off hit will not be cheap to some people... but divided over 12 or 24 months would be..

and I agree no monthly charge other than a nominal cost say £3