Skype vs. Vonage?

Discussion in 'General Tech & Gadget Forums' started by ensyed, Jan 17, 2008.

1. ensyed

ensyed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    So I have been using a Vonage ph (base device with a normal phone plugged in) for a year and it works 99% of the time. I want to ditch it and get Skype instead (annual unlimited calling to US for $30/year)
    How much worse is Skype for calling? Is it less reliable, worse call quality and can I buy a box and plug it into my router (with normal phone) like my Vonage phone or not?

I have also heard of SIP phones but not sure how they work. I need a US based phone number and unlimited calling to /from the US.

Please advise?

Thanks

2. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    For the relatively low outlay I would try it and see. You can then keep the one you prefer.

3. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +322
    I'm currently using skype..from India to UK mainly.

I've just been using my PC with mic and speakers...or headset..I find calls to skype perfect. Calls to landlines can be a bit quiet...although I suspect that's the fault of my headset.

I've bought one of these
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000ODUVDE

I think it's what you're talking about...You can use it to make and recevied landline and skype calls without turning on your PC...I can't comment on it yet. A friend has it and is flying over to see us on the weekend and bringing the phone with him...can't wait to have a play with it.

I've set-up a UK based phone number. So I have a 0208 number (outer London) that everyone calls which then gets routed to skype and me in India. That works well. I've had calls from credit card companies etc that are unaware they are talking to us in India :) I'm pretty sure you can create a US number also.

4. ian_w

ian_w
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sip phones are VOIP.

VOIP is an open network, calls to other VOIP phones are free irrespective of the network that the other person is on (as long as you dial the voip address or IP, and not the PTSN number allocated to it)

Skype and Vonage (to a lesser degree) and closed networks, so all calls outside of Skype (for example) are charged, and often charged ata higher rate to the VOIP equivalant.

Also with VOIP it is possible to get numbers from around the world all directed straight to your VOIP address.

Skype charge £35 a year (+VAT) or the equivalent for a number for others to call you from outside skype.

On VOIP this can be free. For example it is possible to get a local number for a £10 or £20 credit with some VOIP providers (or even less). Why pay more?

Also with the IP phones you mention, it is possible to have multiple lines. My VOIP phone here has 6 lines - 4 are linked to various UK number, 1 is a USA number and the other is an Australian number. I guess for this my annual outlay is around £20 per year.

Therefore I would not go for Skype or Vonage or even recommend them to anyone.

This is just my view - others may have their own view - but I like to be free and not tied down - if I get fed up with a VOIP provider, I just go to another one. My numbers just follow me :)

5. Judgegeo

Judgegeo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Havnt had a single problem with Skype thus far, sometimes the quality can be lacking a little but hanging up and re-dialing appears to fix any imperfections in the calls.

Also, when I first start Skype I have to wait about 10-15 seconds for it to show contacts who are online, etc. before making a call otherwise the it seems to upset skype and it wont let me call anyone until I close and open Skype again. Probably just a problem for me though, eh :p

Bear in mind though, EBay are considering selling Skype soon - or so I read, so things may be changing soon.

6. kula911

kula911
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    agree, used skype for more than 3 years it's pretty good.

7. mancunianman

mancunianman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi to everyone im on Virgin Media Phone and broadbrand just wondering if i change to vonage do i pay Virgin for my phone line still? thanxs

8. terry_gardener

terry_gardener

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    vonage is an all in one solution. ie you get inbound call number and can make outgoing calls.

since virginmedia use cable for there broadband services the virginmedia phone service is not needed.

9. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Hi, the VM phone service is totally independent of any Broadband service. It is delivered by twisted copper pair piggy backed onto the coax the broadband services work on but do not come together anywhere else on the network. If you adopt an IP solution for your phone you will quite possibly need a new phone and/or other hardware and will need to cancel your VM phone in order to stop paying line rental. I personally would not do that until you had proven the IP solution meets all of your needs.

10. armara

armara
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Skype is good and very cheap :thumbsup:

11. realbadman

realbadman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    has anyone ever heard or magic jack?? www.magicjack.com
    its like 40usd for a whole yr unlimited us,canada and uk
    check it out

12. visitor22

visitor22
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    When you sign up to Vonage, you have the option of porting your VM phone number accross. If you port the number (FREE), Vonage will contact VM for you, and close your VM phone account.

Ive just signed up with Vonage, using VM 20 broadband, but going to change to 10Mb broadband.

When you use Vonage, while the phone is not in use it dont use any bandwidth, when in use it can use 90K ! but you can adjust this to 30K without notice any loss in quality.

Ive left mine on the default 50K and its working just like a normal phone.

Vonage, is much better than Skype...

When/If you sign up, think about what you may need. They do a D-link box that connects to your router or a V-portal that connects direct to the cable modem. The V-portal has a 1 port router..

All/ ANY phones will work with Vonage, I just plugged my DECT phone in, and away it went, free caller display, free Anon reject, Free, free all features.

Tested BT Calypso 225, Tested Paragon 500, Tested £1 phone from Poundland :) All work fine.

Using a PC/USB phone would be a joke !

I use the D-Link Va with my own router, worked within a few min of pluging it in :)

FREE calls at last for £5.99/month and only 0,02P/ min to US Canada etc...

Remember though, Vonage has a 2000 min fair use ! so 33 hours a month, plenty for me

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  13. Jason D

Jason D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I'm just reading through this thread and see that you're in exactly the same position as me... considering ditching VM 'landline' for Skype or Vonage.... Have you taken the plunge yet? How's it going? Are you running the service via your PC or with a dedicated handset into your router??

Cheers

Jason

14. visitor22

visitor22
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Me ? Yes have been using it for a week now, working just like a landline. Vonage dont use a PC, it has a smart box to plug into the cable modem (V-portal) or a router (D-link va) you pick which way to do it when you sign up.

Old phones just plug into the box

15. hosteile

hosteile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Visitor22 - I've tried to connect my Paragon 500 to my Vonage box with an RJ11 to RJ11 cable and the phone wont see a signal (no dial tone). What cable did you use?

The phone is fine if I connect it to the standard BT line using an RJ11 to BT.

Hope you can help! :)

Cheers.

Leigh.

16. KeithO

KeithO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    I haven't tried Vonage or any other VOIP service apart from Skype, so I can't compare them.

But I do use Skype as my sole home telephone (I have a landline but the only people who use it are cold callers) plus I have a Blackberry for work.

I've used it for about 3 years, and regularly use it for calling family in USA and UK (I'm in Germany) and video calls to the more PC-savvy members :rotfl:
    I have a couple of UK-based numbers to make calling me cheaper for the people in UK, and I have a USA-based number for a business I run there. I have a laptop with built in videocam and use it when I'm travelling.

I'm sure that there are cheaper alternatives out there, but to be honest Skype does exactly what I need and it's reliable and the call quality is without exception excellent.

17. dreador

dreador
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Had Vonage for 2 years and couldnt fault it - apart from the cost over skype - 6 months ago switched to skype and use my home server to run the wireless phone.

99% of the time vonage was fine thats probably now dropped to 98% so not really much in it and the price difference makes up for it.