Skype - Version 2 with video.

mjcairney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, don't know if this has been posted/discussed before, but just had my first Skype conversation with video with my brother-in-law in Washington, DC.

Was very impressed with the video, especially as I am using a webcam that cost less than £20.

Anyone used it yet and, if so, what do you think of it?

Cheers,

Martin.

Not bad, but it does seem to have problems at times locating video sources. Maybe this has been fixed by now in an update ? I did try it when it was still in beta.

I've only used it once so far and must say that I had no problem whatsoever with the video - maybe it was first time lucky and things will change - let's hope not. Time will tell.

Cheers,

Martin.

Last Saturday spent 2 hours talking and watching my family in Adelaide, Australia, I have Skype (latest) and a Creative PC-Cam everything worked perfectly, and it's FREE!!

I regularly use Skype with video to call my daughter in New Zealand and it is great, once you get used to the delay. The picture quality is very good. When my other daughter joins to create a conference set up we lose our video although the audio remains. Skype talks about Version 2 giving 'one-to-one video conversations', so I assume it does not support 3 way video. It is Beta at the moment, will it change in the future to give me full video on conference calls? I am not complaining- it is saving me a fortune!

How do you find it compared to Messenger? My sister lives in NZ and I chat to her a fair bit on Messenger using webcam. Is the Skype video any better?

Is Skype easy to setup and use. I currently use SunRocket for traditional VoIP services, but I was thinking about giving skype a shot as well. Thanks.

RekalinSimms said:
Is Skype easy to setup and use. I currently use SunRocket for traditional VoIP services, but I was thinking about giving skype a shot as well. Thanks.

The simple answer is yes, it is easy to setup and use.

Cheers,

Martin.

mjcairney said:
The simple answer is yes, it is easy to setup and use.

Cheers,

Martin.

I appreciate that. I was thinking about using Skype to do some podcasting and was hoping it would be easy to get started with. I can't imagine it would interefre at all with my suNRocket, so I guess I'm good to go.

RekalinSimms said:
I appreciate that. I was thinking about using Skype to do some podcasting and was hoping it would be easy to get started with. I can't imagine it would interefre at all with my suNRocket, so I guess I'm good to go.

Not knowing a thing about SunRocket, I wouldn't dare hazard a guess as to whether one would interfere with the other or not.

Best of luck.

Cheers,

Martin.

I also use the skype out feature to call landlines abroad (if they don't have skype). Quality is usually very good and it's cheap e.g. euro 0.017 pm to USA. that's just over 1p which is almost as good as free, :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom