Skype using (DECT?) handset-help me understand!

Discussion in 'General Tech & Gadget Forums' started by Azzin, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Azzin

Azzin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,072
    Hi all,

I use Skype from my laptop to chat with relatives in other countries-both via webcam (free) and to call landlines (v cheap!).

I'd like to be able to use a handset so that I don't have to sit at my PC, but I'm unclear about how this works.

As I understand it, I'd need a Skype handset that plugs into my router-would this then enable me to make free calls to my relatives?

I'm guessing if I rang their landlines, it would still cost me via the "Skype Out" minutes (the same as it does if I ring the landline from my PC)?

Alternatively, am I able to use a handset to contact them via Skype to their PC (so no change for them, but easier for me! :D )

Ta. :)

[Edit] - Can anyone also recommend a nice cheap Skype handset!? :devil:

2. Gadgetcity

Gadgetcity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    I use something similar to this with my existing DECT phone. Your PC still needs to be on. It basically turns your phone into the speaker and mic of a USB soundcard. This means that skype can use your phones mic and speaker for it's calls.

(You might also consider a bluetooth headset for mobility.)

A skype to skype call via any source is free, and yes, any skype out call is going to cost you.

Hope that helps

3. Azzin

Azzin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,072
    Good info, thanks. :thumbsup:

A friend of mine's father now has one of these Skype phones:

[​IMG]

It's simply connected to his router and he shows up on my Skype list as "Using Skype without my computer", so would there be a cost to me if:

A) I Skyped him from my laptop to that phone?

B) If I get one would there be a cost to me if I Skyped him from that Skype phone to his Skype phone?

I'm hoping not and if that is the case I'm going to get myself one and suggest to my relatives abroad that they get something similar!

That would be superb, as I could just hook it up to my router in the hallway and freebie calls would be all mine!!

Cheers.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  4. Gadgetcity

Gadgetcity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Both of those scenarios are Skype to Skype calls so yes, they are free. :clap: