Skylink effected by mains ariel input?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by sinbad120, Mar 19, 2006.

1. sinbad120

sinbad120

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for another Skylink thread but could anyone help? I recently installed SkyLink and it worked fine with no mains ariel introduced, the signal is piped from the Sky+ RF2 through an amplifier to several rooms and sky+ could be controlled from each room. When i wired a tv ariel into the back of the main sky+ box via the Ariel In socket, the picture quality of the sky feed on the other tvs diminished badly. I guessed that was due to interfence and have since changed the RF Channel No on the Sky Box to an alternate number. This has improved the feed picture quality (though not nearly as good as when no mains ariel was wired) but the sky link control now no longer works (i.e. controlling sky+ from the other rooms) unless the mains ariel coax is removed from the Sky+ Ariel In slot.

Any idea what might be causing that or where i may be going wrong?
    Thanks in advance

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,565
    This part of your query I can understand and you are right to try changing the Sky RF mod channel to eliminate the co-channel interference.

This is the part I cannot fathom as introducing an aerial into the RF in on the digibox should have no bearing whatsover on the 9v output from the RF2 socket...is the led on the TvLink lit?
    What happens if you disconnect the aerial amp and connect a TvLink directly to the RF2 on the digibox...does it light up then?

3. sinbad120

sinbad120

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Jaycee. Not sure what the problem is, the led light is always lit on the sky link even when the remote control doesn't work on the corresponding tv. The voltage gets through regardless, I have no idea why the sky link ceases to work

4. phil woods

phil woods

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    introduce a UHF inline attenuator into the RF input of the Sky Box this will lower the power of the UHF signal which you will not notice that much but will clear all the interference on your Sky channel on the second location.

5. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    I agree and as you won't know how much attenuation you'll need, I'd recommend a Variable UHF attenuator. Just type "Variable UHF attenuator" into Google. Plug it into the Digibox aerial input with a short cable.