Skyhd

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by andy2005uk, Sep 14, 2007.

1. andy2005uk

andy2005uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,

I'm planning on getting skyHD in the next few weeks and it will essentially a new install.
    instead of doing it through sky (£299 + installation) i thought of the other two options:

a) buy the box and LNB of ebay (£180 and then get a local guy to install it)
    b) buy it through a local electrical shop (£250 i think)

my question is if i buy from either ebay or local shop, i.e. not through sky, what happens if i have problems with the box etc.... would sky still sort it out or what would happen??

Many Thanks

Andrew.

2. Bagger

Bagger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Sky wont want to know.
    You`d have to sort it out your self.

The box will still be warrantied by thompson if that happened to go wrong.

3. andy2005uk

andy2005uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    is this the case for both buying from ebay and local shop??

whats the best way to go then considering all i've read on HD boxes going wrong.

4. jimborae

jimborae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109

If the shop is somewhere like Curry's then Sky will sort any problems out as effectively they are re-selling for Sky I believe.

Because of all the problems I specifically didn't buy of Ebay as it's just to much hassle if things go wrong. (which they did)

Best bet I reckon is to wait for another deal form the likes of Comet or Curry's, got mine for £149 installed and I'm an existing customer.

5. Bagger

Bagger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    I bought my box from ebay. Fitted my own dish. Its learning on the way.

Ive all ready had problems with my box which I sorted my self.
    It kept shutting down on its own. That turned out to be the sata cable, replaced that. ( added an extra fan inside) and its been fine since.

Its been fine now for the past month or so since I sorted it.
    The only other problem was that it kept dropping the cbeebies channel which turned out to be lnb alignment.

So if you dont mind getting your hands dirty if things go wrong then buy one from ebay.
    But if you want peice of mind then take up one of the sky deals.

6. bradso666

bradso666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i bought my hd box from e bay 18o plus delivery including lnb the installation is easy and the instructions with my seller was good also the box arrived 1 day after i ordered it you will get a month warranty witht the seller and then the rest up to a year with a-nova who maintain all the thomson boxes they will collect the box but wont give you another one while urs is being repaired. but you can get sky to repair or replace box for a 65 pound callout charge and they are very quick and give you a 3 month warranty and thats only a last resort my box had problems i called them out they repaired the problem and it was just loose f conecter on coxial cable i phoned sky and they diid nt even charge me as engineer recomended me to do so and the box is going fine since fingers crosssed.another thing with buying off e bay you will get a new box sky seem to be found of giving out previously owned boxes my father in law had 4 boxes before he was happy with the hd box. one came opened and was scratched on the top and the secound time they c\ame the engineer tried 3 boexes until he got one which has being going ever since

7. Paul_HDLover

Paul_HDLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Buy the LNB from Ebay and the box from www.satbuyer.co.uk

The box is then covered under a warranty for 12 months.

8. ian-d

ian-d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Few corrections to comments above, the digibox is covered by the warranty from who you buy from, not Thomson themselves. Neither do a-novo (who are the official sky repairer) have to accept the digibox, although they usually do, they can ask you to go back to your supplier...suppose to reduce the number of individual customer accounts they need to setup. If your told otherwise by ebay sellers etc, walk away, they may not cover you should a problem arise.

andy2005uk - as you are after a completely new setup, have you considered either 1. phoning sky for an offer, or 2. going through quidco.co.uk, paying £299 and then earning back £110?