SkyHD to 1TB Question

pugheaven

I know there's loads of threads about, however I need a specific answer, if I upgrade my old style Samsung SkyHD Player to a 1TB drive, do I still need to format with Copy+ or has any new firmware updates now upped the Sky limit from 500gb to 1tb for internal formatting etc?

Also, as confirmation I still can't use 1.5tb in the older boes then? It's still 1TB?

Ordering a new drive tomorrow for £35 for a 1TB, but tempted to chuck a 1.5TB in, however from what I can see, it won't work in older machines? This still the case?

Sky still has the 500GB limit on its own firmware in earlier boxes and AFAIK Copy+ has a 1 TB limit but you should check that out on the Copy+ website to see if the program has been changed yet. But you should also be aware that there is apparently a limit on the total number of programmes that the firmware/hardware in the box is capable of coping with - not a problem if recordings are mainly movies but could be if recordings are lots of short programmes in boxes over 1 TB.

BrianMc

Novice Member
Sky still has the 500GB limit on its own firmware in earlier boxes and AFAIK Copy+ has a 1 TB limit but you should check that out on the Copy+ website to see if the program has been changed yet. .
It's NOT Copy+ which has the 1Tb limit - it is the firmware on ALL Sky HD boxes (except the recent Amstrads). Unless any Sky upgrade changes the limit there is nothing Copy+ can do.

pugheaven

Right, okey dokey, think I'll just buy the 1TB and swap them over then...

simon194

It's NOT Copy+ which has the 1Tb limit - it is the firmware on ALL Sky HD boxes (except the recent Amstrads). Unless any Sky upgrade changes the limit there is nothing Copy+ can do.
There is one exception with the older boxes, some late model Amstrad DRX780's can take a 1.5TB drive but it's very hit of miss. You still need Copyy+ to prepare the drive though

Not quite correct - having now read the copy+ forums there was an issue with copy+ and HDDs over 1TB on pre Darwin software on the Amstrad DRX890 boxes which the author has now corrected so for a while the author did state a 1 TB limit on all boxes. You are correct that there is a 1TB limit on PVR4s but this does not apply to PVR5s.

pugheaven

Well, just finishing copying my HD across to new one,... fingers crossed Took about an hour...

pugheaven

Done and dusted, wow, gone from 23% or somethign like that left to 80% left... come on :thumbsup: awesome, took around two hours from start to finsih...

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom