SkyHD noise questions - is it my box, or a generic issue?

cowlid

Standard Member
Hi all

Well, SkyHD is really aannoying me now. The fan inside is whining at such a hihg pitch, my ears are picking it up all the time (apart from when I play things REALLY loud!). Any quiet(ish) moments in a film or TV programme are disrupted.

I know this has been a problem, and some have had their HD boxes exchanged - has this made a difference?? Or has the whining noise come back?

If it doesn't help, I guess I'll put up with it until there is a new box or a fix (however, I need to keep the component out option, so I may not be in luck!).

Thanks for help

Dave

Starburst

Novice Member
Depends.
If the box is getting too hot the fan is a safety feature, how is it housed and can you move it into another location as a test?
If the fan is faulty and just running too loud or comes on when it shouldn't then you can make a call on the warranty.

Henryslater

Novice Member
The fan is not governed by the temperature of the box - it's permanently on (and I think there are actually two of them). I had the same problem and had my box swapped by SKY - (see my other post of today) and it's much better (so far). But to be fair - my old box did seem to deteriorate over the six weeks that I had it so I will wait and see.:confused:

Component - Get the box swapped out - as I believe that newer boxes are less likely to have a component-out once SKY get round to switching to HDMI only.

Starburst

Novice Member
Never knew that and given the noise levels (or lack thereof) I am sceptical but if you are right then it may have been a reaction to the overheating issues with the original SKY+ units which were the cause of many a lock up.

I have to admit that I can not hear a fan at all (and never had my original fan run in 5 years of use) but of course unlike the original there is no obvious grill to get a visual:)

fozzieAV

The only time I hear fan noise on mine is on initial switch on when there's a brief whirring followed by silence. So whilst I can't comment on the statement that the fan(s) is always on, it certainly does run at different speeds; I never hear mine during operation.

Now the hard disk, that's a different issue! However, since I will get around to upgrading the drive, I'm not going to risk swapping out a perfectly working box (with quiet fans) for a non-working noisier one!

D

drumz

my sky hd box is so loud i can hear it over all normal programming and its not even in the same room as the tv,
it is the fan under the hardrive that is the culprit and it it never turns off it runs no matter if there is any hdd activity it stays on even in standby mode
its driving this household mad we now only turn it on to watch football
so im afraid its gonna have to go
also im led to believe that pinnical of electronics amstrad will shortly be making hd boxes as a back up for demand !

danvitale

Novice Member
My SkyHD box has been as quiet as a mouse since I had it (it's quieter than my Sky+ box with added 250gb HDD... the fan was spinning 24/7).

I have my SkyHD box in the middle of a stack of everything in my siggy below except for my LCD screen, and in the same small room as my PC thats chucking out BTU-a-plenty (heat).

Im sure its a batch thing...

fozzieAV

danvitale said:
Im sure its a batch thing...
I would tend to agree; there definitely seems to be two distinct problems:

Fans - some peoples are constantly spinning (or at least spinning fast enough to always be heard), whereas mine only spins up on initial switch on and then either turns off or is spinning so slow it cannot be heard.

Hard disk - some seem to be quiet, whereas mine is always ticking (probably just needs acoustic management setting correctly but I can live with the noise until I upgrade the drive; it'll be interesting to see what the current drive is set to when I take it out).

cowlid

Standard Member
Brilliant! Thanks all for help.

Will call Sky nad get an engineer out. My Panny plasma is non-HDMIable, so loss of component would be a huge blow!

Dave

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom