skyhd help (on phone to CS now!)

Zippster

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all i have just recieved a 2nd skyhd box to replace my faulty sky+ box (so i can use hdmi etc) and CS are telling me that i have to pay an additional £10 to use this box as all they can do is activate it!!

surely this cannot be right? all i want it to replace the crappy white sky+ with an hd box but not receive my premium HD channels?

Help!

Thanks in advance

Andy Weightman

There talking rubbish as usual. All you've got to do is get them to pair your card to the new box and just treat it like your old Sky + box.

hi all i have just recieved a 2nd skyhd box to replace my faulty sky+ box (so i can use hdmi etc) and CS are telling me that i have to pay an additional £10 to use this box as all they can do is activate it!!

surely this cannot be right? all i want it to replace the crappy white sky+ with an hd box but not receive my premium HD channels?

AFAIK providing you have not purchased the box through Sky, then you can just get your card paired with the new box. This will then give you BBC HD plus the SD channels that relate to your level of subscription.

If your box has been purchased from Sky, or on an offer like the one currently available from Comet etc. then you are liable to pay the £10 HD sub as the box is at a subsidised price. HTH

ATB

Max

So Max, are you saying that if you have a Sky+ box you can get this changed to a Sky HD box (bought independently) and not have to subscribe to the £10 per month cost?

Also, in 3 months time, would it be possible to call sky and ask them to subscribe to sky or will they catch on and not allow this?

If they do allow it and they turn it on does it mean that you are tied into a 12 month contract or can you turn it ff again if you don't like it?

So Max, are you saying that if you have a Sky+ box you can get this changed to a Sky HD box (obviously for a cost) but not have to subscribe to teh £10 per month cost? Does this also mean that you are not tied into a 12 month contract or as soon as you buy the box are you tied in?

Providing you don't buy it from Sky, that's how I understand it. You just have your existing card paired to the box and it just reflects your existing subscription plus any FTA HD channels like the BBC.

I suspect that most people in Sky's CS dept, wouldn't even begin to think that anyone would do this! Which is probably why they don't usually have a clue when this configuration is requested.

ATB

Max

Can't find the post but a Sky employee did suggest to not even mention its a SkyHD box and just ask CS to pair the card to the box so as to not confuse the situation and end up with their less intelligent co-workers on the CS desk trying to or insisting you have to pay the extra £10 for SkyHD sub you don't want or need ;)

You categorically are not required to subscribe to SKY HD to have a card paired to a SKY HD Box. Dont tell them what type of box it is if that eases matters. SKY really need to get a grip of this situation. Their CS is appaling.

It can be done as I installed my HD box (bought elsewhere) at the weekend, first spoke to CS and explained what I had done and what I wanted, I was informed that it was possible but she was unsure how to do it. She put me through to Technical who enabled my Sky+ but not the HD leaving me on my original package.

thanks all, finally got to speak to someone who knew what i wanted and understood what i was asking.and after 30mins of faffing around swapping cards from one box to another i had the config i wanted...so

i put the phone down confirm that my upstairs hd box was not recieving hd channels and my downstairs box was, then flicking through the channels i notice d that now my multiroom subscription didnt have my movies and other packs included so i called them back again only to have to try and explain to someone why i am trying to use a HD box for normal sky+ and she would need both serial numbers to sort this? whilst talking to her and trying to explain the movie channels suddenly started to work so i explained that everything is fine now and put the phone down..

NOW i have HD on both boxes and all the channels i should have so i called them again to confirm that i didnt want to pay and second £10 for hd and to remove it, the woman confirmed that on my account i only have 1 sky hd sub and multiroom sky+ and i will not be charged an additional sub!

what on earth is going on... im being honest and telling them i have it, but in the same instance although CS swear i wont i feel i will be charged a second sub come next billing date.

i really thought this was going to be easy, the real reason i bought the box is the fact that my thompson sky+ wont work properly(known issue) with my samsung hdtv(bedroom)

anyone have any ideals on this?

cheers

Andy

As I understand it once you subscribe to multiroom your subsription is mirrored to your 2nd box (& this means EVERYTHING, sky+, HD, premium channels - the lot) whether your 2nd box can cope with the content is irelevant. So if you have everything on box 1, you have everything on box 2!

:thumbsup:

lol ok...the plot thickens...

its all now the way it should be, sky+ functions without the hd channels!

:clap::clap::clap:

/and relax!

cheers

Andy

As I understand it once you subscribe to multiroom your subsription is mirrored to your 2nd box (& this means EVERYTHING, sky+, HD, premium channels - the lot) whether your 2nd box can cope with the content is irelevant. So if you have everything on box 1, you have everything on box 2!

:thumbsup:

Wrong wrong wrong. If you want Sky HD on both boxes, you need to pay for Sky HD on both boxes (an extra £10 on each box on top of the multiroom subscription). As Andy has now got it sorted, it was obviously just a delay on Sky's part.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom