SkyHD "freeview" channels - advice needed

googlebox99

I currently have freeview running on my Toshiba 37WLT66, and to be honest the picture looks great.

If I purchase Sky HD (obviously for the HD channels), will the freeview be of the same quality I am seeing now. Obviously the TV will be doing some upscaling (although this will go through an Onkyo 605...)

Cheers

Broadz

Distinguished Member
I currently have freeview running on my Toshiba 37WLT66, and to be honest the picture looks great.

If I purchase Sky HD (obviously for the HD channels), will the freeview be of the same quality I am seeing now. Obviously the TV will be doing some upscaling (although this will go through an Onkyo 605...)

Cheers

Why would Freeview change? That is shown by the TV via its internal digital tuner, nothing to do with Sky HD box. Freeview is received via the TV aerial plugged into the RF input on the TV, HD is received via a HDMI cable plugged into one of the HDMI inputs.

Starburst

Distinguished Member

Cheers

The channels that are on Freeview and also broadcast via the SKY box are broadcast at difference resolutions and bitrates, the general view is that the Freeview versions of the BBC,CH4 and ITV etc are slightly better than those on satellite (Five is better on satellite) however you may get a benefit from the digital link between the SKY+HD and TV or any upscaling you have the SKY+ HD do to the SD channel.

There are too many variables to say either way to be honest as your own personal pictures settings could play a part.

I think that's the answer you wanted not if they Freeview reception (from the tuner in the freeview box) would be influenced by SKY HD:)

Broadz

Distinguished Member
Aah, now I understand. They were asking which would look better - Freeview via the internal tuner or Freesat via HDMI.

Bachstrad

Or perhaps he's asking if the channels that are available on his existing Freeview look better when broadcast by Sky via the HD box? :confused:

ATB

Max

googlebox99

Sorry, I have got people confused!

I mean this:

If I purchase Sky HD, will the channels such as BBC1, BBC2, E4, Film4 etc (all available through my freeview already) look as good running through the Sky Box.

Ideally I don't want to have to switch to freeview for some channels and Sky for others.

I don't even know if that is any clearer!

deadmonkey

Yes, you'll be able to watch all your standard channels and yes I think you'll find they'll look at least as good as they do currently through your freeview receiver.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
In my case the nonHD freeview channels look better (very good)through my Humax 9200 pvr than they do via on board freeview tuner in my plasma tv or my SKY HD box.:)

Bachstrad

Sorry, I have got people confused!

I mean this:

If I purchase Sky HD, will the channels such as BBC1, BBC2, E4, Film4 etc (all available through my freeview already) look as good running through the Sky Box.

Ideally I don't want to have to switch to freeview for some channels and Sky for others.

I don't even know if that is any clearer!

IMHO the channels you refer to are much better @1080i via HDMI than watching them via Freeview, no contest! :smashin:

ATB

Max

Bachstrad

It should be TV aerial into Freeview box and then SCART from the Freeview box to TV. You will lose loads of picture quality the way you do it.

No you're wrong, I suspect like me Broadz has Freeview built in to his TV, so that's exactly right, aerial straight into the TV. ;)

ATB

Max

Broadz

Distinguished Member
It should be TV aerial into Freeview box and then SCART from the Freeview box to TV. You will lose loads of picture quality the way you do it.

The TV is the Freeview box. It's a Tosh 37WLT66.

By the way Derek, sorry I missed your post on DS about a non-DD5.1 movie on Sky HD yesterday - I was driving home at five last night, only saw your post this morning. I believe you when you say Sky Movies HD shows non-DD5.1 movies - it's just that I've never seen any cos I don't watch TV through the day. :)

googlebox99

Guys, thank you for your advice. I'm going to go ahead and get Sky HD and see for myself :)

Any views on places to get a cheaper HD box than off Sky direct?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom