SKYHD - downgrade package will I lose PVR?

MHuggins

Standard Member
I have SkyHD and the full subscription at 52.50/month, but am frankly unhappy with the HD channels, and to be honest, only ever watch non-film/non-sport channels.

If I were to downgrade my package so for example I only had UKGold, and some children's channels, would I -
1. Still be able to record FTA channels, like BBC1, ITV1 (I would NOT be paying Sky for the Sky+ subscription). I understand I could not record paid-for channels
2. Still receive BBCHD

Thanks

Mike

Ultra2man

You will stil be able to watch BBC HD but you will have to pay Sky £10 a month to get the Sky+ functions.

neilmcl

MHuggins said:
I have SkyHD and the full subscription at 52.50/month, but am frankly unhappy with the HD channels, and to be honest, only ever watch non-film/non-sport channels.

If I were to downgrade my package so for example I only had UKGold, and some children's channels, would I -
1. Still be able to record FTA channels, like BBC1, ITV1 (I would NOT be paying Sky for the Sky+ subscription). I understand I could not record paid-for channels
2. Still receive BBCHD

Thanks

Mike
Can you do this? I thought that the the SKy HD sub was a 12 month minimum term. Also a bit of a waste of £299.

gavan

Novice Member
kevinthekoala said:
I agree the HD subscription is for 12 months !!

The tenner per month HD sub is for 12 months - but that's just a supplemental to the regular sub. You can downgrade that and save some money.

But of course, downgrade it enough and you'll need to pay another tenner a month 'Sky+ sub' in order to keep your HDD recorder functionality....

Gav

MHuggins

Standard Member
Hi

Many thanks

Yes you are correct, I believe, it is a 12 month contract for HD. I did call them yesterday though and to say they were vague about package downgrades is an understatement. Maybe I'll call them again

So basically the £10/month for Sky+ is actually paying for the PVR function itself

I agree the £299 (or whatever it was) was a waste of money. The box is very bugg'y, and no where near as good as my trusty V1 Sky+ box, of course the HD picture quality is great, but there's nothing on! I guess that is the price to pay for getting it so soon after launch

Seems I am better off going the MCE + DVBS card solution. I won't be able to record 2 things at once anymore, but as said, since there's nothing on anyways, I guess that doesn't really matter

Mike

gavan

Novice Member
MHuggins said:
Hi

Many thanks

Yes you are correct, I believe, it is a 12 month contract for HD. I did call them yesterday though and to say they were vague about package downgrades is an understatement. Maybe I'll call them again

So basically the £10/month for Sky+ is actually paying for the PVR function itself

I agree the £299 (or whatever it was) was a waste of money. The box is very bugg'y, and no where near as good as my trusty V1 Sky+ box, of course the HD picture quality is great, but there's nothing on! I guess that is the price to pay for getting it so soon after launch

Seems I am better off going the MCE + DVBS card solution. I won't be able to record 2 things at once anymore, but as said, since there's nothing on anyways, I guess that doesn't really matter

Mike
Yep - SkyHD consists of a regular Sky sub plus a supplementary HD sub. So the usual caveats exist - if you don't have two premium packages you need to pay a tenner a month to enable the Sky+ (ie HDD recording/second tuner) features.

However, AFAIK the SkyHD sub on its own does include access to stuff like SkyOne HD and HD versions of the Discovery/Artsworld/Nat Geo channels so I think that you could completely drop your SD sub and still get a couple of channels of SkyHD programming (and of course BBCHD plus all the FTA/FTV SD channels) for the tenner. I daresay that most would want to keep the HDD recording too though ... that would thus make 20 quid a month subs.

You could probably use the 'threatening to cancel SD' trick to get a better deal on the SD packages as per normal.

Gav

MHuggins

Standard Member
Gav thank you

Food for thought there

I was looking last night and for what I'd like to keep channel-wise I'd be paying £15/month + the £10'er for HD, of course I'd like to keep the recording ability but then the costs start to rack-up and you end up being as close to damm-it to my present monthly fee, so much so, that is why I backed out of downgrading on the phone last night.

Obviously if I hadn't have got HD then I'd be in a better position, and I so wish I hadn't now. It's not as though I watched the footie at home in HD - I was in the pub - watching it via a composite video feed on a 6 foot wall - yuk!

Ho-hum

Mike

MHuggins

Standard Member
Don't you just love it. I called again, and explained my problem, and they weren't prepared to do anything on my package pricing

I returned work and was fed up, so decided I would cancel both films, and sport, plus culture and news, so I'd pay £38/month with HD

When I got through and said this, they then offered me my existing package for £30/month + £10/month for HD for the next 3 months, so I save £13.50 based on next months pricing. Must remember to cancel it before the 3 months is up though

Mike