SkyHD doesn't 'drop' HDMI Signal......

RichardBoult

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi just had three year old Thomson box replaced with a Pace, quite happy cos it seems a lot faster and I can now get sound over HDMi without having to use optical to my amp or the standard audio cable. Also the whole EPG seems a lot quicker and the box sounds as if it runs 'smoother'.

The trouble I have however is that I now no longer have the component output from the old box and therefore have two HDMI plugs (SkyHD and PS3)for one HDMI input on the TV. The engineer (rightly or wrongly) sold me an automatic splitter made by SLx for £10, however this doesn't seem to switch from Sky. A quick phonecall to SLx/Philex informs me that the HD box doesn't release its HDMI signal until it's switched off at the wall (i.e. it retains control in standby) so the splitter doesn't perform like it should. Is there a way around this short of having to press the manual button that anyone knows of or are sky going to change their software to overcome the issue?

Why don't you leave SkyHD on one HDMI and split the other two less used sources?

Richie

His TV has a single HDMI slot. If he leaves Sky HD on one HDMI slot - which other one is he supposed to be able to make use of? And apart from his PS3, what is his other less-used source?

OP - what makes you think that a Thomson HD box can't output audio via HDMI? Because it can.

There are splitters available with a remote control that you can use if the device won't switch. Have a search for the "Neet® - 3 Port HDMI AUTO SWITCH BOX with REMOTE" on Amazon. It's £25 and according to the reviews is the dogs wobbly bits. I have been looking for a solution digital audio from my Xbox360 and have ordered this.

His TV has a single HDMI slot. If he leaves Sky HD on one HDMI slot - which other one is he supposed to be able to make use of? And apart from his PS3, what is his other less-used source?

OP - what makes you think that a Thomson HD box can't output audio via HDMI? Because it can.

Thanks was just retracting my post.. BTW there is only stereo sound output on the Thomsons HDMI.

Richie

I'm sure it didn't, pretty sure we never got sound and I'm sure I would've found out as the kids had a nasty habit of leaving the volume at 99!!...it would've been first gen way back as I was a early subscriber.....

Thanks for your replies...any ideas on how to kill that SkyHD handshake?

BTW - whilst searching for this answer have just found out how to make remote automatically swith to HDMI when I switch the Sky box on!!! :clap:

Thanks was just retracting my post.. BTW there is only stereo sound output on the Thomsons HDMI.

Richie

Thanks...sound still sounds OK thru TV and if I'm watching a movie or sports then I'll switch the 5.1 amp on like I always used to!

No! :mad: I imagined they connect up their audio leads from the sky box to the TV......

No! :mad: I imagined they connect up their audio leads from the sky box to the TV......

What audio leads? And how many TVs allow you to say that video is coming from HDMI but audio is coming from external RCA stereo cables?

What audio leads? And how many TVs allow you to say that video is coming from HDMI but audio is coming from external RCA stereo cables?

My Samsung TV does for the HDMI2 input.

now now lads calm down calm down.

on the switcher side, aldi's were doing a three way switcher about a week back now for £9.99 and they were apparently the same ones that are selling on amazon for £25. its always worth a pop down to them just incase they do still have them as they were a bargain.

Almost all of them! Otherwise you could not view pictures from a PC (using a DVI->HDMI adapter) and hear the sound as well!

My Sony will (on just one HDMI socket!)

now now lads calm down calm down.

on the switcher side, aldi's were doing a three way switcher about a week back now for £9.99 and they were apparently the same ones that are selling on amazon for £25. its always worth a pop down to them just incase they do still have them as they were a bargain.

They were indeed a bargain,so I bought 2. They don't auto switch with SkyHd though,or my 2 Sony DVDHDD recorders.Any ideas how to get over this?
(Weymouth still have stock of these Tevion switches.)

i thought they came with remotes iirc

just found this on here,

3 Way HDMI Switch Box with Remote Control and Sensor.
3x HDMI input, 1xHDMI output.
Simple plug and play installation.
No mains power required.
Compatible with all HDMI devices.
Individual LED display of 3 input sources.
Supports 1080P/I 720P/I 480P/I.
High performance up to 2.5 Gbps.
Incudes infra red remote control and sensor.
3 Year warranty.

Last edited:
i thought they came with remotes iirc

just found this on here,

3 Way HDMI Switch Box with Remote Control and Sensor.
3x HDMI input, 1xHDMI output.
Simple plug and play installation.
No mains power required.
Compatible with all HDMI devices.
Individual LED display of 3 input sources.
Supports 1080P/I 720P/I 480P/I.
High performance up to 2.5 Gbps.
Incudes infra red remote control and sensor.
3 Year warranty.

They are indeed supplied with a remote,which is nice,but don't autoswitch with my Sony recorders or SkyHd. Something to do with the equipment being always on standby,I think.
If I switch SkyHd or one of the Sony machines off at the wall,then awaken it from sleep with the remote the Tevion then autoswitches.
In fact as you plug these "always on standby" devices into the Tevion it switches over to that input,because the relevent input led illuminates. Anyone know how to get over this? Not a huge issue for me but Mrs Lotsatoys would appreciate a fix.:)

ah i see where your comming from now. so its because there still in effect live even though there in standby.
sorry i aint got a clue in how to get round this yet.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom